Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS headlights Fluctuating in brightness

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
Hi
I recently relocated my battery to the boot in my s:axe:s...everything works fine car starts no problems at all...but the other night I took it out for a drive and the headlights were fluctuating in brightness they,were going very dull and then they would just jump back to there normal brightness...very strange some help or ideas on what ghe problem maybe would be apprecaited
Thanks

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
if you know how to go into diagnostic mode on your dash go to the voltage setting and see what the voltage is doing when your headlights go dull.

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
Hey thats not a bad idea I forgot all about that...i will check that on the weekend...thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
when the battery was relocated did they run a earth from the negative terminal all the way to the engine bay or did they just earth it in the boot somewhere.

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
if you know how to go into diagnostic mode on your dash go to the voltage setting and see what the voltage is doing when your headlights go dull.

I Checked the Voltage and its hovering around the 13.8 while driving the car and 14 while idleing is that normal

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
yep seems normal tho wat is the voltage wen u put all accessories on 2 give it some load? mayb the big 3 grounding upgrade may help in the engine bay?\

do u have a sound system in the car at all?

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
Yer i have two 12 inch subs and amp in the boot...yer not sure i drove round last night for about an hour and the voltage didnt really change the lights only flickerd twice when i got up it a little bit maybe 3000rpm not sure what the go is...i ordered a headlight capacitor of ebay so im going to give that a go

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
shouldnt need it man. wen it flutters r u using ur stereo at the time? do u know how many rms power the whole system is producing? this is where the big 3 upgrade will help but if its not that it'll stop the flutter from ur stereo anyways that im sure u would b getting at some point. its possible ur regulator on the alternator could b on its way out, sometimes u can get an intermitent drop out, it works somtimes and somtimes not charge at all, which could b wen u get ur headlight fluttering?

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
Yer im not sure on the total output of the system but i have tried it with and without the stero on and it dosnt seem to make a differance the lights flicker the same so its got me beat im going to take it to an auto electrican and see what he rekons the problem could be...ill let ya know what the problem is