Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

03 VY fuel gauge, trip meter etc. problem??

webbyVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY storm ute (5 speed manual)
2003 VY V6 storm ute ( 5 speed manual

ive just baught this car 6 months ago and its had a problem with the dash since..

-the fuel gauge is always on the fritz and just reads whatever it feels like at the time,
-the trip meter is out by 4km ( every 4km i do the trip meter displays 1km )
-the distance to emty is never right ( obviously same circuit as fuel gauge )
-the 'km to go' always displays like 10,000km and 950hours or around there
-fuel averages and average speed never seems right..

seems funny because odometer works perfectly along with the tacho and speedo ? i would of thought the odometer and trip meter ran off the same circuit :confused: :help:

surely all these problems have to be relating to one big problem? ive heard if you put a series 2 dash in a series one car they do funny things like this ? how am i able to tell what series dash it is ? also heard something about if your earth for the dash is loose it can mess with it ?

any suggestions or knowledge about this sort of thing would be GREATLY apprectiated

CHEERS

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
The distance to empty are never 100% Maybe the dash isnt right for the car it may have been changed..

webbyVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY storm ute (5 speed manual)
i have tested the fuel sender unit wich came up fine, 48 - 250 ohms full to empty.. ive tested the gauge with a scantool wich came up fine.. it seems it might be working now that a recalibrated it from a ute to a sedan, maybe the previous owner has put a sedan dash in it ? might explain why the trip meter is screwed too