Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn custom thermo fan setup

NOT 38

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
hey guys, recently re wired my 1991 vn exec. i have 2 thermos running, one runs off a switch and relay, i have tapped the power off the fuel pump power relay for that one and i wanna know is there a more suitable circuit that i can run it off,
now secondly i had the other thermo running off the ignition. this was causing the car to keep running after i shut the car down, what ekse can i run the thermo off so its constantly running when i hit the ignition ?

plz help guys !

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Locate a wire that is only active when the ignition is on

Sent From My Galaxy S2 Using Tapatalk 2

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
possibly the original thermo fan circuit that is ecu controlled to turn it on and off when it's needed?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
as above or if its the 5L use ur A/C thermo fan wiring as its the same but u'll need 2 get ur tune enabled 4 it 2 work through the ECU. u can set the temps while ur at it 2 thats wat i finally ended up doing. still have the by pass switch there tho just incase but have never needed it.

NOT 38

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
Is there a circuit that I can use that only works while the car is running ?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
yes the ignition circuit... but the fan is only needed once the engine gets to 107 degrees and once back to around 100-102 should turn off, it's also pointless having it running when doing over 40/50 kmh, the vehicle speed over this causes enough airflow through the radiator to cool it and the extra load on the alternator would be reducing economy and power slightly.

Last edited:

NOT 38

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
its the v6. ok so i got the first thermo setup off A relay and switch works awesome ! however i set the second fan up yesterday off a relay and switch. worked fine tured on and off fine. went up the road and i somehow blew the main fuse ? i ran the ignition wire (pink) as the power in to the relay. i ran the earth to the chassis off the relay. ran the fan wire accordingly to the relay. and ran the toggle switch trigger wire accordingly to the relay. and i ran the acc wire for the toggle switch to a wire that was live when the ignition was on (also ran off the pink wire from barrell.

what could of caused the main to blow? im thinking bad earth. ?? plz help :/

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
instead of stuffing about why not just wire it in parallel with the existing factory fan circuit? you're trying to reinvent the wheel......... WHY?

a bad earth won't blow a fuse, ####ing up and creating a dead short between +(12v) to -(gnd) or drawing to much current (amps) will.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
in the how to thread man search in there theres a great thread in there that shows u how 2 wire up the 2 thermo fans. ur lucky u have the V6 its so much easier 4 u haha.

but yeah as jxw said u would have drawn 2 many amps and blown that fuse, if ur using AU thermo fans they draw around 25-30amps each so as above again wire 2 replays up, 1 4 each fan and u should b right. u can still add in ur by pass switch if u want.