Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP!! No Injector pulse! VN V8 Conversion

za289w

Reaction score
Members Ride
au xr6
G'day all, I have just put a 304 into a GU Patrol, It cranks over nicely, has strong spark, will fire off aerostart has power to coil, module, injectors & ecu while cranking, ECU has good earths, hall effect putting out good signal etc etc but for some reason the ECU will not pulse (earth) the injectors so she wont run! Im not 100% sure what the motor is from originally I am told it was VP but the guy I brought it from had it in a VC so the loom had already been modified. How do I tell for sure what loom & ECU I have, and also can anybody help me diagnose why it wont pulse the injectors! Thanks in Advance.

PS yes I have trolled through these and many other forums looking for an answer.....

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
All the 1227808, VN-VP ECMs are the same.

Basics:

Any fault codes? You'll need a Check Engine Light connected - a test light between battery voltage and A5 or the ALDL connector terminal (brown with white trace) will do. Connect the white wire with black trace to the black wire at the ALDL connector or A5 (white wire with black trace) at the ECM to earth, ign. on and count the flashes of the CEL. Anything other than 1 flash, pause then 2 flashes, repeated, is a fault. See the fault code sticky for anything else.

There should be battery Voltage at ECM terminals C16 and B1 (orange with black trace) at the ECM at all times.

There should be battery Voltage at A6 (pink) with the ignition on.

While the engine is cranking, there should be a 0-5V frequency signal at 4 times engine rpm across B5 (white with violet trace) and B3 (black with red trace). That's the rpm signal to the ECM.

While the engine is cranking above 450 rpm there should be 5V on D5 (tan with black trace). That's EST bypass switching as a check that the ECM is receiving an rpm input signal.

If the TPS Voltage C13 (blue) is close to 5V - that would require a short - there will be no injector pulses.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
depending on what it came from it could be the vats. If it came from a vp/vr/vs it will need to have the vats disabled to let it get injector pulse.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Nah, on a VN or VP (and VQ equivalents) the anti-theft only cuts the ignition switched power to A6 at the ECM. If there's power there it's OK.

That is true if it's out of a VR or VS but it's supposed to be VP (admittedly, that's not absolutely certain) and running in a VC.