Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head unit not charging iPad

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey All,

In my Omega i have an after market JVC HU with a usb port that my iPad 3/ iPhone 4s / iPods can connect to. However when my iPad is connected to it is unable to charge. The charging indicator in the iPad has the little lightning bolt going through it, indicating that it is indeed charging however the iPad looses about 7% of its battery every hour. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get my iPad to charge through my HU?

Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
the usb port in the headunit can't supply enough current to the ipad? if this is the case continuing to try may cause damage to the headunit, it was probably designed to deliver low power to memory sticks and other small devices, the ipad is probably recognising the voltage and trying to charge but uses more (milli)amps than the usb port can supply.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
What about a powered USB hub with a high power outlet?
So it would go HU-> USB HUB -> iPad

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
that would work and take the load off the headunit, just a matter of finding one that uses a dc 12-14v supply and wiring the sucker in somewhere.
if you were nifty with a soldering iron you could make something up with a 7805 regulator and a usb male -> female patch cable and be able to hide it somewhere.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I just tried plugging in a non powered hub and then my iPad and had no luck the HU does not even start reading it. Now that i think about it I remember reading sometime ago that my HU does not support hubs.....

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
What about a powered USB hub with a high power outlet?
So it would go HU-> USB HUB -> iPad

depends if the unit works with usb hubs. most dont, theyll only work with the usb device plugged directly in.

check the specs on the headunit, it;; be pumping out 500mA max most likely. ipads need 1a to charge from memory.

Jxw is on the ball, something like this WD Western Digital Passport External Hard Drive Double Dual USB Data/Power Cable | eBay

but with a standard usb socket instead of the mini plug would be ideal. plug one end into headunit, one into a 12v charger, and ipad cable into the socket.

edit: too slow replying, that link in your post "should" work fine, just plug the right end into the unit :p

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
hrm, as much as i'd like to say yes the Y adapter would work.... i'd be sceptical about having a separate power supply feeding back into the headunit socket (it should be fine but you never know....)

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks lads, I really don't want to blow up my HU so i'm thinking there must be a better solution....
I'm thinking that having two different power supplies with different grounds is probably not the best idea.
The link below may be the solution however it is a little over my head can anyone tell me if it is what I'm looking for?
http://www.electronicsforu.com/EFYLinux/circuit/April2008/clapril08.pdf

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
All that needs to be connected between the headunit and ipad is the data + & - lines (2 wires green and white)
The power wires only need to be connected from the external power supply to the ipad (red and black wires)

The Y adapter would have the wires connected to all 3 plugs, designed to plug into 2 usb ports on a pc and split the power drawn from 2 usb ports to the 1 female as most pc's can't supply more than 350-500ma from each port, it'd end up with 700-1000ma on a pc.

that link is pretty much spot on, could cut 99% of that circuit diagram off for what you want.