Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

96 vs reverse light fuse sparks help please

azzafkhm

Reaction score
Members Ride
two 1996 vs's
ok i got no reverse lights. when i put in a 10amp fuse (i've tried all amp) in position 9 reverse lamps.
even in park soon as i turn ignition on bang a spark fuse is blown.
i checked switch at gear auto shifter seems normal. checked wiring all way down door trim to loom at light.
seems ok, but somewhere between switch and fuse box its all wrong.
any sugestions fellas, i need a clue

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Got a tow bar with wiring harness for the trailer lights? That's a pretty common place for wiring faults, particularly if the trailer connector gets water in it.

Any aftermarket wiring like for an alarm or audio gear? Also likely fault locations.

Otherwise, has it ever not done this or is the car new to you and came with the problem? If so, what's changed between when you had working reverse lights and now?

Because it's a consistent fault, it should be straightforward to trace using a test light or multimeter (maybe $20 - for one with > 10MOhm impedence - if you don't already have one).

azzafkhm

Reaction score
Members Ride
two 1996 vs's
thanks cheap6,
appreciate the help, well problem solved like. had to bite the bullet sent to auto elec and was informed a couple of wires crossed over at the back of fuse box, could of been worse i guess,.
well i got that done, got athe roadworthy signed and off to vic roads friday.
i have 3 weeks nsw rego left on it as i just bought it bout three weeks ago, i guess the previous owner forgot to mention it and i didnt p[ick up on it.
anyways new question: d
Does vic roads need to check the car or does the vic roady cove it and just go in there to rego it
as the lady said i should ring to book it in? spouse i shoulda asked her there and then...