Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'96 VS Cig Lighter Socket - Slight Issue

Andy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Hey fellow sparky peeps.

I'm looking at my VS' Cig Lighter Socket as i believe something might be wrong with the actual socket itself. I plug my GPS, amongst other things into the socket and there is no power getting through to the device. Upon a bit of investigation and playing with higher amp fuses (15amp in there on first attempt went 'pop'), i've come to the conclusion that this might be a issue inside the socket, rather than a Wiring or Fuse problem.

Not that i really use the thing (GPS has a battery and phone has a solar panel), but i'm just stumped as to what might be causing the lighter socket to fault.

I've got a brand new GM part to replace it with, but if i do that and get the same result, its pointless. Oh. it lights the lighter plug up without a problem. Just has issues with other non-factory devices.

Also, LOVE this sites search engine. Makes me wanna have a commgasum and fix everything with the Ute.

~Andy

Attachments

• 483243_178082482309687_1068836095_n.jpg
    483243_178082482309687_1068836095_n.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 192

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
you're spot on, it is the socket i have the same problem in my VX, if you have a look inside it you'll see that there is a 12 volt prong cut into the neg outer

if you turn the adaptor you create a short, turf the holden 1 and get 1 that isn't retarded