Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help in installing daytime LED's

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
Hi Guys
Can any one tell me how to install daytime running LED's light and what do i need to install it ? Some one told me i need a switch as i want it to get ON when my car is ON and i don't want to connect it with any other light. So what kind of switch do i need ? Will appreciate your help..

Cheers !!!!

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
proper way would be to use a change over relay so that the lights come on with your ignition but then turn off when you turn your park lights on. you could put in a switch if you want to turnthem off if you wanted.

a standard change over relay has 5 pins which are labled 30, 87, 87a, 85, 86.

you would need to run an ignition or accesory feed to pin 30.
the positive of your drl led's needs to go to pin 87a.
you need a park light feed to pin 85.
then you just need an earth to pin 86.

nothing connects to pin 87.

hope that helps

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
proper way would be to use a change over relay so that the lights come on with your ignition but then turn off when you turn your park lights on. you could put in a switch if you want to turnthem off if you wanted.

a standard change over relay has 5 pins which are labled 30, 87, 87a, 85, 86.

you would need to run an ignition or accesory feed to pin 30.
the positive of your drl led's needs to go to pin 87a.
you need a park light feed to pin 85.
then you just need an earth to pin 86.

nothing connects to pin 87.

hope that helps

WOWW !!! mate.... first of all hats off to you that you knows so much about it.. good on you mate.... but can you tell me what kind of switch i am looking for. What should i say to the shop guy that which switch i want to buy? from where can i buy that switch like can i buy from supercheap auto or repco etc..?
thanks mate
cheers !!!

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VY SS
any on/off switch will be fine, just depends on what style you like and where you can fit it.

this is a switch i put in my car, you might be able to do something similar to yours depending on whats in those spots in your car.
2012-02-21171931.jpg

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey OP, what brand of DRL's are you getting or have you got? Or has anyone else had much experience with different types? Super cheap have them but I'm a little dubious as to what quality they would be.

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
any on/off switch will be fine, just depends on what style you like and where you can fit it.

this is a switch i put in my car, you might be able to do something similar to yours depending on whats in those spots in your car.
2012-02-21171931.jpg

Thats a really good help from your side mate. One last favor bro you explained me regarding the wires and pins etc so sorry mate but i couldnt get through so can you please make it more simple and if possible with pics. I am a baker by profession so if nothing worked for me then I am going to chuk everything in the oven an bake them off...lolzzz

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
Hey OP, what brand of DRL's are you getting or have you got? Or has anyone else had much experience with different types? Super cheap have them but I'm a little dubious as to what quality they would be.

I have no idea mate what are you saying. :( Or tell me how and where to check regarding those doubts....I just asked the other guy to explain me more in brief
Thanks for your help guys
Cheers !!!

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute

I have installed a few sets of Philips DRL's at work now.

They are a great product. The mounting brackets are well thought out and a big plus is the wiring. They only have three wires - battery positive, negative and park lights.
They auto sense vehicle startup and shut down, and turn off if the park lights are on.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VY SS
Thats a really good help from your side mate. One last favor bro you explained me regarding the wires and pins etc so sorry mate but i couldnt get through so can you please make it more simple and if possible with pics. I am a baker by profession so if nothing worked for me then I am going to chuk everything in the oven an bake them off...lolzzz

id recommend what wamboin23 said, get some phillips units as it sounds like you havnt done much auto electrical work before so the phillips will be much easier for you to install. maybe post a pic of the front of your car so we can see what would fit best.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I have installed a few sets of Philips DRL's at work now.They are a great product. The mounting brackets are well thought out and a big plus is the wiring. They only have three wires - battery positive, negative and park lights.They auto sense vehicle startup and shut down, and turn off if the park lights are on.
Thanks. where do I get them from?