Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wiring gauge in for wideband?

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Hi guys i have a vy s pack with a fair few mods and decided through the knowledge of an excellent tuner on here that i fit up a wideband kit to the car.

The bung for the sensor is welded in and the cables have been run through , i just need to wire up the actual guage

Just wondering if anyone can help me as ill be having a go at this sometime in the morning tomorrow, just need to know where to splice into etc

the gauge will be mounted under the drivers side dash

Cheers, Al

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
read the instructions.

what brand is the gauge? what needs to be hooked up?

and just remember to never leave the sensor in the exhaust if the controller is disconnected, you can ruin the sensor in no time.

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
there are instructions but i need to know what wires to tap into as i cant find a wiring diagram, i dont want to tap into the wrong wires

i.need:

12v switched source
ground
headlight power wire

cheers

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
12v switched. grab from the radio or light socket etc. make sure its the switched and not constant supply though. (although may be diff in the vy)

ground. test around with a multi. i found a perfect ground where they was a hole and the self driller was actually a perfect fit somehow =P in the body frame.
tested to make sure there was a connecting back to neg terminal of battery and there was.

headlights. im assuming its for when you turn the lights on the gauge lights up.
maybe tap into the circuit that lights up the dash? i dont know anything about that part though

a gregories should have a wiring diagram you could use. to confirm. or tap into the wires to find which is which.

tip: oh and make sure you check all your connections.
i had 3 cables twisted and crimped together, somehow it didnt make proper connection, was frustrating.
so solder and heatshrink is almsot always better then crimping
it took us an hour to find this one problem. =P

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Cheers for the advice drawn

So i can just

a) run my 12v switched power source to the radio wire (i have no idea what wire this is yet lol)
b) Ground it to the chassis
c) hunt around for the light switch wire then tap into it?

?

Definately will be soldering haha, gotta do it right the first time :thumbsup:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
or would it be better just wiring it straight to the ignition for the switched source?

i found it was easier to go to the radio in my car personally (which was a yellow wire for me)
but it all varies. seeing yours in a VY it may be easier to go to the ignition and so forth

best bet is to have a look around behind and see whats easier to hook up to.

before you ground it to the chassis, check for continuity and the ohm values etc.
sometimes it may be a part of the frame but it may not have a superb earthing value.
so you could always tap into the same earthing point of another item, such as the radio.

in the end its all up to you.

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Found an easier way, just went straight off the cigarette lighter and ran the cables through to suit, the headlight switch wire to the headlight switch for dimming and yellow wire to the pcm

Running it through the cigarette lighter means it can stay on when i turn the ignition off but turn off completely when i open the door (same as the radio)

has been calibrated, mounted correctly and all wiring hidden and i must say it looks great!

Will help heaps with tuning