Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiper arm question

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey guys quick one, does anyone know what is in the wiper set up that tells the wipers to stop when they are turned off as my VH V6 I have has I think I swapped it to a VN wiper arm ass (as the old one would wobble when working) when I turn the wipers off they stop wherever the wiper is on the screen when I do this.
I should mention that I have in the car a full VN loom front to back and I have a VN steering column with VR/S wiper switch on it any idea to make it stop where it should cheers.
Oh I might be in the near future changing the wiper arm ass over to a VR acclaim unit hope this may fix the prob cheers again

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Hey guys quick one, does anyone know what is in the wiper set up that tells the wipers to stop when they are turned off

It is a setup in the actual wiper motor that allows this. When approaching the wiper park position, a switch within the motor open circuits the positive power connection to the motor and shorts out the motor-thereby providing dynamic braking, to cause the wiper to stop at the park position.

If your wipers are stopping at random positions, I would suggest that either you need to clean this switch contact (can get contaminated with gear grease), or try to repair it. The switch contact is normally part of the assembly on the large gear that is driven off the worm drive gear of the actual motor itself.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
the 12v fed wire to park the wipers is on a brown white wire from fuse 14 .. but it feeds through the park contact in the wiper motor back on a yellow wire to the switch to supply 12v on the slow speed wire (grey/red) via the switch. Your problem is you dont have any intermittent circuitry that switches these wires to give the intermittent function...so on
I used the vn type wiring and connector and plugged straight into the vh wiper motor but still using the vh wiper switch I think you used the vn column and switch but you have the intermitent part of the circuit that you arent using to work out.

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
You could use the little daughter board off a vp lefthand binacle switch and wire it all like this

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
You could use the little daughter board off a vp lefthand binacle switch and wire it all like this
39787d1188683281-vp-calais-level-3-wiper-switch-wiper-mod.jpg

smwiperboxboard.jpg

39788d1188683281-vp-calais-level-3-wiper-switch-wiper-box.jpg

My old vp had this circuit installed and it still works great.

Last edited:

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Cool thanks mate I will get and try it in the next few days hopefully as its raining and be a bit wet laying out there lol but once I get a good dry day will diffently try it. I have the left hand binicle from a VN so I think it should be the same as VP, just wondering how to hide it once done maybe just cover it in tape or I might see if I have some sort of plastc to cover it up. cheers

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I used a old jiffy box above from jaycar...also where I got the relay in the circuit from.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
39787d1188683281-vp-calais-level-3-wiper-switch-wiper-mod.jpg

smwiperboxboard.jpg

39788d1188683281-vp-calais-level-3-wiper-switch-wiper-box.jpg

My old vp had this circuit installed and it still works great.
Hey mate how easy is that circuit board to remove from the rest of the switch so I don't break it and do I remove the loom plug on it too or could I use that to wire into cheers

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I think there is 3 plastic barbs that you have to release in stages remove the little board on top of the main board.....the contacts and ball bearing will fall out but you have to unsolder that part on the small board and then solder wires to where it used to be on the little board anyway.
The extra white relay in the picture is where the black plastic wiper switch mechanism used to be.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Well I have built the circuit board up today and only yet to wire it into the car, waiting for the weather to better itself first. Im going to post up my pics of my board to check with markovr to see if it look right, should be only I have a slightly different relay one I got from jaycar today and the bloke said it should be ok.
It is a LKK brand mini pbc 12V DPDT Mini PCB Relay mine has five pins on the back and I think I have wired it correctly leaving the middle pin empty? youll see in the photos.