Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

InstallingDaytime LED's. Please help.. !!!

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
Hi guys...
Can anyone help me in installing daytime LED's through a switch ? I don't want to connect daytime LED's to parking light or any other light or thing. I want it to work independently with the help of switch. When I turn it on only the daytime LED's should work without any other light. I have 12V switch brought from ebay. Following is its link for anyone to check it....

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Following is the link to the daytime LED which i want to connect..

12V 48cm Car White 48-LED Neon Flexible PVC Strip Light | eBay

Can any tell me how to connect the wires to the switch and from where. Tell me as if you are teaching to an apprentice.....

Thanks for your help and time guys
Cheers !!! :beer chug:

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
pretty simple mate, id presume you only want power to the switch when the car is turned to acc?

just get a multi meter test light, easiest place to pic up power is at the ciggy lighter or 12v socket outlet, run + power to your + on the strips, then from the ground on the 12v socket, to your switch, then from switch to - on your led strips

alternatively you could pick up from power found behind the fuse panel with your test light, and if you wanted, switch the + rather than -. i only said switch - because wiring in holdens is negative switched

EDIT: just looked at your switch, did you want the led on it to light up when the LEDs are on so your know they are on or off?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I don't mean to be a smart ass, please
don't take this the wrong way, but if
you can't wire in a simple switch
without asking for help, then maybe take
it to someone who knows what they're
doing? Have you even thought about a
fuse? Do you know which amp fuse to use?
I just don't want you to stuff things up
and fry your wiring or cause damage.

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
Hahahahaha....
I understand your feelings bro...You know its very simple because you have interest in these kinda stuff. But I have never done anything on my car before so I don't know how to do it. I bought the LED's for $2.18 and I don't think its reasonable to spend $30-$50 as labor to install it. I also know to install these things is not a big task for thing but with the help of you all experts on the blog I think I can install it without spending more bucks on it. Moreover will see some youtube videos for more practical demos.

I don't mean to be a smart ass, please
don't take this the wrong way, but if
you can't wire in a simple switch
without asking for help, then maybe take
it to someone who knows what they're
doing? Have you even thought about a
fuse? Do you know which amp fuse to use?
I just don't want you to stuff things up
and fry your wiring or cause damage.

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
Thanks mate for your super help. Yeah i want the led to light up when the led's are on.. so for that do i have to something extra or it will automatically will turn on when i connect the power...
Do I need to connect a switch to the end of the wires of my LED's if i chose to connect it with the ciggy lighter or do something else..?
Thanks a ton..
cheers !!!
pretty simple mate, id presume you only want power to the switch when the car is turned to acc?

just get a multi meter test light, easiest place to pic up power is at the ciggy lighter or 12v socket outlet, run + power to your + on the strips, then from the ground on the 12v socket, to your switch, then from switch to - on your led strips

alternatively you could pick up from power found behind the fuse panel with your test light, and if you wanted, switch the + rather than -. i only said switch - because wiring in holdens is negative switched

EDIT: just looked at your switch, did you want the led on it to light up when the LEDs are on so your know they are on or off?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate for your super help. Yeah i want the led to light up when the led's are on.. so for that do i have to something extra or it will automatically will turn on when i connect the power...
Do I need to connect a switch to the end of the wires of my LED's if i chose to connect it with the ciggy lighter or do something else..?
Thanks a ton..
cheers !!!

From memory you will need to wire up an earth to the third point on the switch, so it would be easier to switch the positive in your case

If you connect it to the ciggy light wires and without a switch the LEDs will come one whenever the car is on acc, if you install a switch in series with the + wire after the ciggy lighter it means they can be switched off if you like but again only on when the acc is on.

If you like when I get home a can draw up a simple wiring diagram?

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
thank you very much bro if you can draw a diagram for the circuit... its very much clear but will be more clear with the diagram and it will help to do it without damaging any thing in the car...
good on you mate...!!!!
5 star member.....
cheers !!!

From memory you will need to wire up an earth to the third point on the switch, so it would be easier to switch the positive in your case

If you connect it to the ciggy light wires and without a switch the LEDs will come one whenever the car is on acc, if you install a switch in series with the + wire after the ciggy lighter it means they can be switched off if you like but again only on when the acc is on.

If you like when I get home a can draw up a simple wiring diagram?

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
one last help SUP3RST4R_DJ
I am looking to change my LED flasher relay because I have installed a LED light as my turn signal and its flashing too fast. So I was advice to install a resistors or change the flasher relay for LED. I found a flasher on ebay and the link is at the bottom.. The thing i want to know if you could help me is that how many flasher relay i have to change for the turn signals. Is it one or more ?

Electronic LED Flasher Relay Fix Turn Signal 3 Pins 12V | eBay

Thanks for your wonderful help mate.... much appreciated....
thanks

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate sorry I forgot to draw up the diagram last night I didn't get home till late, I'll do it when I knock off tonight

As for the led flasher I haven't really done anything with them so im not 100% sure but my understanding is you can wire a resistor in series (most auto elec shops or workplaces should have these) that are specifically for led blinkers. As for the flasher unit, again im not 100% sure but I'd think it would only be one relay, perhaps have a look under your steering relay at the fuse panel and see how many blinker relays are under there

kevin_the_baker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S 2003
No worries mate.. You can draw the diagram whenever you have time... Its no rush. Regarding the flasher will certainly look at the fuse panel. thanks for the help again...
HAGD
cheers !!!
Hey mate sorry I forgot to draw up the diagram last night I didn't get home till late, I'll do it when I knock off tonight

As for the led flasher I haven't really done anything with them so im not 100% sure but my understanding is you can wire a resistor in series (most auto elec shops or workplaces should have these) that are specifically for led blinkers. As for the flasher unit, again im not 100% sure but I'd think it would only be one relay, perhaps have a look under your steering relay at the fuse panel and see how many blinker relays are under there