Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring electric aerial (VT sedan)

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
The VT I bought had a snapped aerial. It was a manual aerial, so I went to AutObarn and bought an electric one for like $150. (surely ripped off? but oh well). Now I've done all the handy work, removed body parts and chucked the old broken one, fitted the new one and fed the wires through the little hole to behind the glovebox goes. Behind the panel on the left is like a computer box and a million wires go in there. I've connected the fat black wire to the other aerial wire that goes to the head unit. I've earthed it. But there is a red and a green wire left behind. Supposedly on the diagram the red one connects to the battery and the green one connects to the head unit. But I'm staring at the so-called million wire bundle and *blink!* I don't know where to fit it. So this goes out to anyone who's made this mod before or knows a wee bit of wire trickery to point me in the right direction. Failing that it's off to AutObarn to get the fella's to fix it.

Dom.

MayhemOfHell

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WL Caprice V8 LS1
On your radio harness there should be a "Arial" cable or something.. Simply connect it to that one and connect the red to the "Constant" power.
On mine its labelled as "Ant Trigger" & "Batt Cont" ...

The headunit itself should have a wiring diagram on it?? not sure there?
Otherwise just need to check your manual for the pin listings

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for pointing out the wire label. As for the head unit the previous owner put in an Alpine stereo. Not to mention extra wires all over the place and dodgy cuts and tape. Anyway I'll check the diagram if there's one stuck to it or something. Looks like I might have to go buy some extra wiring to extend the leads up behind the dashboard.

Silly me broke one of the sliding hinges off the glove box taking it out...

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
So I took a picture of the list.
alpine wire directions.jpg

I'm going to have to assume to attach the green wire from the aerial to the blue one on the Alpine wire bundle... And I guess red to red obviously.

MayhemOfHell

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WL Caprice V8 LS1
yep, Or possibly the red from the aerial to the yellow wire which is constant power.
Try red to red first as this may work, reason being is..

When you turn the car off and the aerial is still up, With the red wire being accessories switched..
There is no chance for the aerial to go down because its lost its live power feed... Signal only triggers,, does not supply.

So if red to red does not work when turning the car off, then try red to yellow and see if that changes it..
My only thought is that red to yellow could cause the battery to go flat over time ? If there is any cause for a drain..

red & yellow are both 12v,, Just red is switched on with the keys and yellow is always on, Used for things like the stereos memory