Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Taping into dome light

oldsalt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore Omega + LPG
I have a new inquiry.

I would like to install a clip on monitor to use with my reverse camera by taping the power into the dome light.

The bulbs in the dome light are rated at 5W

The monitor is rated at 6W

Would I have any problems taping into the dome light, although the monitor is an extra watt?

As I rarely drive of a night I don't use the dome or map lights.

For those who are interested, I received my mats and an apology from the dealer. :beer chug:

MayhemOfHell

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WL Caprice V8 LS1
I wouldnt use the lighting circuit just for various reasons, Mainly its best to run new cables and separate any installs from the original harness as such.
The problem with the dome light wiring is that it would be triggered/switched with the doors and other events that cause the lights to go on and off. For example you would need either the door open while reversing or to manually switch the circuit on using the light switch.

It would be a little easier to tap into the stereos 12v supply or run a cable from the battery and switch that with a relay if you like.

You can tap into the lighting circuit if you wish, But depends on how you do it.. As this line would be turned on and off by the BCM or depending on the model of the car.. If its the Omega you have listed, i would then run a separate cable for this reason alone..

oldsalt

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldnt use the lighting circuit just for various reasons, Mainly its best to run new cables and separate any installs from the original harness as such.
The problem with the dome light wiring is that it would be triggered/switched with the doors and other events that cause the lights to go on and off. For example you would need either the door open while reversing or to manually switch the circuit on using the light switch.

It would be a little easier to tap into the stereos 12v supply or run a cable from the battery and switch that with a relay if you like.

You can tap into the lighting circuit if you wish, But depends on how you do it.. As this line would be turned on and off by the BCM or depending on the model of the car.. If its the Omega you have listed, i would then run a separate cable for this reason alone..

Thanks for the in depth info, does anyone have a picture of where the stereo supply is and what color is the power, ground and auxiliary wires I could tap into.

So far I have managed to access the wiring for the power socket under the radio, where are the stereo wires from there please?

MayhemOfHell

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WL Caprice V8 LS1
1: Remove the stereo and splice into the existing harness/socket/plug of the stereo..
Red should be accessories as in switched on and off with the key / vehicles auto timer..
Yellow should be constant / always on... NOT a good one to use,, This is only used for REM/memory

2: Tap into the back of the fuse panel and run in from the Radio fuse

You could also use the cig/accessory socket wiring/connector and tap it from there.. Just make sure the screen has a fuse you can access or wire one in line with it.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I have a 12v device installed in overhead cabin light location, runs directly off battery. Trick is to tap the supply at the connector before the light circuit board - orange wire.
Bad news is there's no ACC power up there (least I couldn't find it) ie. device is on all the time, need to switch off /on manually.

oldsalt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys, I have done it.

Wired acc and ground to the cig lighter and found a constant power (brown wire) under the dash.

All works fine and as you say, the monitor won't draw bugga all current so all should be safe.

Last edited: