Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuse 8 VS Acclaim

Ozzyjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Gday,

I have a constant drain on my battery and have Isolated it to the circuit with fuse 8... I have a temp fix for this with a switch and external fuse holder so the loom is not modified but I can switch the circuit on when I have to lock the car or I want to listen to music :/... I am thinking the relay may be stuck in the BCM, is there any easy way of testing this besides pulling the bcm and checking the relay with a multimeter??

Thanks,

Ozzy.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
fuse 8 is always live
fuse 8 feeds BCM, and brake lights
try and narrow it down further, are brake lights working correctly
Do you have cruise control
what electrical mods have been done and by qualified tech or not

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Pull the orange/blue wire spade connector off the brake switch under the column and see if the drain is still happening overnight ...but remember to reconnect when youre driving off course.
If it still drains its something in the bcm or aftermarket wiring using the feed...if not its the stop lamp/ switch circuit or cruise control stop lamp feed..stop lamp switch is normally open when no one is pushing on the pedal so it shouldnt drain overnight through a open contact..if its adjusted properly.....theres a abs feed there too when the switch is made

Last edited:

Ozzyjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
cheers for the info,

I was told that no fuse should of had drain - thats why I found fuse 8 :/ ... the switch has stopped the drain, but with the switch off (no drain) I can still start and drive the car with brake lights working just doors central locking not working and no radio.. I have noticed however that with the switch off, if I hit the lock button on the key fob, the lights will flash like it is locking/unlocking the doors but the actuators do not move (works with switch on).. The power drain does pre-date the mod, but I added a flip screen (video only) where the stoch H/U should be and a cheapo mp3 H/U where the dash/sunglass pocket is.. For safety I changed the fuse's on the H/U and screen to both 5Amp as Fuse 8 is 10Amp I figured it would still stop me from drawing too much power and possibly causing a fire..

No lights stay on (head lights / parkers / boot / interior / glovebox / brake etc).. At this point I am thinking of changing the main body harness to see if that helps and swapping the bcm. I have been quoted $270 for the bcm and $125 to program a new ney if I purchase via a holden dealership.. 18 months of this is no joke - The old bloke I got the car from obviously knew and said nothing :(...

atleast she starts stops and goes where you point her..... better behaved than my last g/f! lol.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
how are your door actuators, especially drivers door
if you can park somewhere secure try not locking car and see if drain is still there

Ozzyjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I have not had chane to test the brake switch yet but re the actuators - The battery still drains with the car unlocked, I tried it overnight and saw a voltage drop on the multimeter and if I leave it about 3 days unlocked unstarted the battery is marginal to start the car... I swear tho that with the switch turned off (fuse 8 disconnected and no drain) that when I hit the lock button on the key fob I heard the motor "try" to do something in the drivers door.. with the switch turned back on - all works well... I will hopefully get to test the brake switch in the next few days, just a bit busy :(..

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
you need to connect a amp meter in series with the fuse, and systematically go through and find what is drawing current.

disconnect the BCM and see if it goes away etc.

connected in series with the battery earth, you should not have anything over 0.04A, or 40mA.

Ozzyjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I am sorry I got it wrong... It is Fuse 7 not 8 that is at fault :/ ... I was having a look today and was able to purchase a clamp meter - I am getting about 130ma drain on the battery... I unplugged just about everything including the bcm today and still got the drain on the fuse.. Anyway I was about to pack up for the day beaten and ran into a problem.. bonnet is farken jammed shut now... not the right thread for it but so pi**ed off - 7hrs work and still jammed.. tried all the trickes mentioned so its either cut off the bonnet or try and drill out the latch from underneath...

I will have a look through the wiring diagrams I got and see if there is something obvious I am missing for the power drain that I can check easily... gotta admit tho - earlier it was just easier to leave the meter on the battery lead and start puling plugs like a psycho... Like a frantic dumb ass I thought I found a short was causing it - the drain jumped up to nearly 1amp.... till I realized the interior light was on :D....

time for sum beers

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Once U get ur bonnet open, spray some grease around the pin and release area, did this on mine and she works good now. It'll just be dry.

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
You should be able to undo the pin holding the bonnet down with a long flat blade screwdriver while laying on your back at the front of the car (so looking UP behind the front bumper)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2