Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT2 GEN111 dash issues.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I am not a great auto electrician, so any help appreciated. I have fitted a GEN111 engine and 4L60E trans to my 1978 Chev, and it is starting, and running OK, but am having issues with gauges/oil pressure light not working.
I am using the VT2 instrument cluster, and am unable to communicate with anything(including the engine) via the OBD2 port.
Speedo, tacho, alt light all work, but they are hard wired, not thru the data system.

Any experts out there that maybe able to give some hints???

Ozzyjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I think the instrument cluster is all driven via the Body Control Module (BCM), Are you using a Holden BCM at all, if so what model? also what level cluster are you using? not all BCM's work with all clusters.

Edit: are you using a tech2 on the OBD port?

Ozzy

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Using cluster out of VT2 Calais(3 window). Same car that engine and trans came out of. Not using BCM, only PCM, and PIM.
My tuning man is using a Tech2. He seems to think BCM not needed, but we aint sure as yet.
If it wont work, I may have to go a different route with the dash. Just trying to use what I have, and make sure all gauges work as per the car they came out of. Even using the VT in tank fuel pump and gauge.

Ozzyjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I was just having a look at this pdf file HERE and it seems to point to needing the BCM.. It states

GENERAL INFORMATION
The VT Series Model uses a Bus Master communication system where the BCM is the Bus Master.
The BCM periodically polls (surveys) each device on the bus and requests status data.
The devices connected to the bus are:
• Body Control Module (BCM).
• Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
• Instrument cluster (INS).
• Antilock Brake System / Electronic Traction Control (ABS/ETC).
• Supplemental Restraint System (SRS).
• External diagnostic scan tool (TECH 2).
The data provided by each device may be utilised by any device connected to the bus.
Each device has a unique response “Message
Identifier Word” (MIW) for ease of identification.
The bus master (BCM) polls each device with a serial data message which includes that devices MIW. The device
responds by putting a serial data message back onto the bus. The devices message includes its MIW and data, of
which is retrieved and utilised by any device on the bus requiring it.
Excluding the PCM, the BCM polls each device for a status update once every 300 milliseconds. The BCM polls the
PCM twice every 300 milliseconds.
When the ignition is switched from OFF to ON, the BCM will communicate with the PCM, via the main serial data
line (circuit 1221), for antitheft purposes and TECH 2 will be able to communicate with any module via the ALDL
mode. If the BCM does not receive an OK TO START message from the PCM within 0.5 seconds of the ignition
being switched on, the auxiliary serial data line (circuit 1220) is isolated via switching within the BCM.
The isolation of the auxiliary serial data line during this period eliminates any possibility of a device failure other than
the PCM or BCM, causing a problem on the bus, inhibiting antitheft communications. This period (know as short
loop time) continues until the PCM responds with an acknowledgment or a maximum of five seconds after which the
BCM will switch to the standard polling sequence.
Following successful antitheft communications, the BCM begins sequential polling of devices on the bus and normal
system operation is established.
When the ignition is switched OFF, the BCM continues to poll, allowing for TECH 2 communications and external
control of the bus prior to the ignition being switched ON.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, thats the info I have as well. Thats why I think I may need to run a BCM. Its not needed if I wasnt using the Commy dash. The antitheft is turned off in the PCM.

Ozzyjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Yeah - I just had a look at the 2 BCM's I got spare but they are only a VS high and a VXII Mid... I dont know if the VX one would be compatiable for you or not, otherwise you coulda tried it out... There are quite a few on fleabay for about $60 delivered that were fitted to the VT that include key heads, there is a cheaper one but no key head and would need to get one programmed (cheaper to get one with the head).. Have you got all the looms from the car?

edit: Just found a pdf with the wiring diagrams for the ins. cluster but I get an error msg telling me the file size exceeds the limit for the file type (pdf).. If you want, pm me your e-mail addy and I will send it to you.

Last edited:

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, I have all the wiring diagrams, and still have the BCM from the car. Its a high BMC. Got a very helpfull CD from a bloke in QLD with all GEN111 wiring, and plenty of other stuff. Best $13 I ever spent.
Will do a temp hookup today, and see what happens.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Problem fixed so far. Did a temp hookup of the BCM using the wires needed, and it has solved my problems so far.
Just need to hook up the Tech2 and see if can communicate.

Ozzyjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Glad to hear you got the problem sorted so far :)

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
BCM fixed all the problems. Tech2 communicates now. Have been for a short drive, and so far, alls good.
Lots of small tidying up still to do.