Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Interior Light upgrade

AdelaideGuy68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina, Vr Exec Wagon
Hello all. I have a series 1 VT and recently purchased a upgrade interior light which includes map reading lights from a VX Calais. The light should be a straight swap / plug in however I am having problems. The dome light itself works fine however I have found the map lights cause a earthing problem either not working or causing the dome light globe to glow slightly when used. I have upgraded the earth which is additional in these lights to ensure this is not the problem however this has not fix it. Should the interior light be a straight swap, or is there something I am missing? Cheers.

FROM
96979im_20.jpeg

TO

31453d1165926736-interior-light-interior-light-calais.jpg

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It is not a straight swap, I think there needs to be an extra wire but I have no idea where. I had the same problem when I put one in my VT, I didn't get to fix it because I traded the car in and put the original light back in.. Try doing a search because I know it has been discussed a bit but I can't remember the fix for it.

AdelaideGuy68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina, Vr Exec Wagon
Found the problem My car is a series 1 and there is a wiring difference between the ser 1 and the rest. Found a series 1 at a wrecker which still had the interior light with map lights. Holden must have included a Diode to stop the feed back through the other globes.

Series 1
IMG_20120915_121731.jpg

Series 2
IMG_20120915_121800.jpg

Not really sure if the series 2 circuit board can be modified. But at least you know what to look for. :) :lock:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Found the problem My car is a series 1 and there is a wiring difference between the ser 1 and the rest. Found a series 1 at a wrecker which still had the interior light with map lights. Holden must have included a Diode to stop the feed back through the other globes.

Series 1
View attachment 149861

Series 2
View attachment 149862

Not really sure if the series 2 circuit board can be modified. But at least you know what to look for. :) :lock:

Very Interesting. There are a few differences between the two.