Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie question

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Hi guys sorry if this is a really dumb question, I'm wiring up a sub and amp into my car atm and have it all good to go but I'm not sure what gauge wire to run from the amp to the sub? Would normal speaker wire be fine?
The amp is a 570w clarion unit with 900w clarion single sub

Cheers guys

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Jaai

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Executive S1
i wouldn't personaly run speak wire myself. could be possible but doubt it very much as it wouldnt allow much current to run threw it.
8g wire would be fine even 4g depending if your thinking about running speakers thro your amp aswell.
i use 8g wire which is perfectly fine.

Jaai

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Executive S1
you can even buy amp wiring kits from supercheap or autobarn etc.
comes with everything you will need to install your amp/sub.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Electrical signal through a wire is like water through a hose, the bigger it is the more you can flow.
Off memory I was using 12gauge wire to run my rear speakers off of there amp. Doing that improved the sound quality and also affected my max undistorted sound I could get from them. it may have been overkill, but atleast it did not strangle them.
I was running even bigger wire again on the Sub amp to Subs wiring, I cannot remember off hand what size, (but i think it was fusion brand and purple)

Hi guys sorry if this is a really dumb question, I'm wiring up a sub and amp into my car atm and have it all good to go but I'm not sure what gauge wire to run from the amp to the sub? Would normal speaker wire be fine?
The amp is a 570w clarion unit with 900w clarion single sub

Cheers guys

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
16gauge or bigger.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
depends on the subs RMS power? but from the MAX ratings u put up i say it wouldnt b that much so u would b safe using at least 14 gauge or bigger (smaller gauge) wiring 4 the sub