Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Central Locking not opening/closing

nuts_bolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive wagon
Hi there, I have a S2 VT exec wagon. The central locking has suddenly stopped working, although it continues to flash the indicators on/off. I've replaced the driver's door actuator, and I can actually hear it trying to move, but it's a weak effort and barely moves.The other doors have stopped working totally.
I've checked the fuse for continuity and it's fine, so I'm now wondering if it's a problem with the relay (I assume it will have one), and if so, where will I find it? I've checked the wires with my multimeter, and the BCM is definitely sending the signal.
Any ideas?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
As far as I know there is NO relay. Have you checked that it is not binding anywhere. A squirt of graphite powder does wonders.
I'm not sure but I think the front door is the first in line to activate the other doors, so if that's not working the others wont, I think. Could be wrong.
Mine is totaly cactus. I think the BCM has had a power surge, which they are known to get and knocked it out when I reconnected the battery.

nitrowarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vt GTS Build 78
Interesting issue.....

I would think it is a mechanical bind as the last bloke said. .....Second blokes issue is def BCM...Needs a new BCM......

I would have thought you issue was def a BCM too....however IF you can hear some movement.......hmm..........Have you tested the strength of the signal the BCM is sending? 12Volts.......I had an issue once where for some reason the stereo loom was only putting out 7.5 volts or there abouts..........check voltage levels.......If low voltage, possible short that has cooked wiring.......... MAYBE

Anyway good luck...but i think if your actuator is getting a signal but is not working and is not bind/jammed...then BCM..........

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Interesting issue.....

I would think it is a mechanical bind as the last bloke said. .....Second blokes issue is def BCM...Needs a new BCM......

I would have thought you issue was def a BCM too....however IF you can hear some movement.......hmm..........Have you tested the strength of the signal the BCM is sending? 12Volts.......I had an issue once where for some reason the stereo loom was only putting out 7.5 volts or there abouts..........check voltage levels.......If low voltage, possible short that has cooked wiring.......... MAYBE

Anyway good luck...but i think if your actuator is getting a signal but is not working and is not bind/jammed...then BCM..........

Yeah don't I know It hahaha.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
try swapping the fuse, continuity is not a reliable test on it's own
could be BCM (the relays or transistors are inside BCM)
could be loom where it enters door, but as all doors are affected I doubt it