Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil pressure gauge

VSteve

Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and I have an issue with the reading it displays whenever anything electrical is switched on it drops pressure. The more current that is being drawn the lower the pressure goes. What could be causing this? I thought it was a bad earth at the sender so I tried earthing it directly to the battery but it made no difference.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Try using thicker wires to the sender. You could be experiencing voltage loss by using thin wires. So as your current draw rises, the thinner wire can't draw enough voltage to power whatever u are running.
Depending on the current draw, the longer you have to use a wire to power something the thicker the wire has to be.
EXAMPLE (1)- Have a look at power lines, Voltage and current aside, the further the power has to go the thicker the cable is. The less it has to travel the thinner they are.
EXAMPLE (2)- Extra long extention leads are always thicker so as not to allow voltage drop.
That's my opinion.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I have the same issue, I installed digital volt guage and oil pressure guage onto vz sv6 , the volt guage works fine but the oil pressure has a mind of its own ... One second I get a reading then it jumps to 120 then it goes down then back up ... Once the cars been on for a while and I stop and turn car off and start it again the red warning light will come up and a very low reading on the guage and after a while the guage will jump up again and the red warning light will turn off .... If I leave the car off so it cools down after it has been on for a while the guage will start up normal , even though its giving me a bullshit reading .... Both guages are earthed and powered from the same spot and have a inline fuse , iv checked the wire going to the sender and that seems fine too , xcept my digital guage sender came with wiring instructions and it only says to connect the one wire to one side of the sender I think it has one pin with "g" the other with "wk" ... I'm not sure witch one I used only one side is connected .... i have tested by putting another wire to the other pin on the Sender and it does nothing ...

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Make sure you use the sender that comes with the guage.Tthey are calibrated to work with it. Using the sender on the car with aftermarket guages can give you false readings. I once installed a water temp guage with the oem sender and it gave me false readings. Once i installed the sender that came with the guage, it was fine.