Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to wire reverse camera power wires.

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
I'm guessing I just wire into the positive & negative of the circuit that goes to the reverse lights so that when the car is in reverse & the reverse lights come on, so does the camera?

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Yes, or just earth the Neg to anything and splice the positive wire and connect the camera to that.

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
if its stereo screen activated you will need to to splice a wire from head unit to reverse light and just earth to the mounting bracket on light housing

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
I did a test setup and it worked perfectly. I found the wire that supplies voltage to the reverse light when the car is in reverse by testing each wire with a test light. I then used my home-made test wires ( just a simple wire with 2 alligator clamps on each end ) with long wire going to the "reverse" wire on the radio. When put in reverse, the radio screen automatically changes to display the reverse camera screen and when put in gear or neutral it goes back to whatever was last on screen (tv/iPod/USB/GPS/DVD/radio).

I will wire it up properly with the wire going under the rear seat and carpet. I'm also going to re-wire my steering wheel controls since I have the radio out.

Thanks for your help guys.

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Here's some pics of how it turned out.
uvu3u5aq.jpg

egubesar.jpg

I'll upload a video later.

timmy8372

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
holden vn wagon
hey what colour wires where ur reverse wire power and ground? I have the same head unit do I just run the rca cable to the head united and connect the power and ground to the reverse light?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
hey what colour wires where ur reverse wire power and ground? I have the same head unit do I just run the rca cable to the head united and connect the power and ground to the reverse light?

Ok keep in mind that the OP has a VT, so the VN wiring colours might be different.

But on my VY the reverse lamp colours are Green for positive and black with blue stripe for negative.

So you need to hook the camera up to those, and the RCA to the back of the H/U. But the H/U should also have a reverse signal wire, this tells it when the car is in reverse so it automatically switches to camera. You need to hook this up to the reverse lamp poistive cable as well.