Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spotlights / driving lamp wiring

chris_bexsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 sv6 3.6 vz comodore executive wagon hsv kit
Hey guys

I have a 2005 vz wagon that I have purchased with a clubby front now the lights in the front bumper only come on when main headlights are off I want to set these up so I can switch them on whenever with any livhts on park high beam blah blah but have them turn off from the door when I jump out. They currently have there own relay so they turn on when switch is on but when you turn any of the main lights on they turn off and also turn off when you turn car off and open the door. If anyone knows how to wire this please help as my last car was the way I want it and my night driving was clear as day without blinding other drivers lol

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
So in other words you want them to be able to come on with your headlights/parkers and do what they do. For example....Turn off when you open the door and you want to be able to isolate them as well. (Turn them on and off while your head lights/parkers are on).....Correct?

If I am reading u right I can draw up a wiring diagram for u.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hey guys

I have a 2005 vz wagon that I have purchased with a clubby front now the lights in the front bumper only come on when main headlights are off I want to set these up so I can switch them on whenever with any livhts on park high beam blah blah but have them turn off from the door when I jump out. They currently have there own relay so they turn on when switch is on but when you turn any of the main lights on they turn off and also turn off when you turn car off and open the door. If anyone knows how to wire this please help as my last car was the way I want it and my night driving was clear as day without blinding other drivers lol
This is my diagram.
I take no responsability for incorrect installation by not following the diagram.
If you are not sure or don't have the confidence about doing this yourself, for God's sake get help. Don't say "she'll be right" or" I'll give it a bash".
Things can turn nasty, especially on these newer computerised cars if you get it wrong.
The smell of burning plastic insulation or circuit boards isn't a good thing.

If you are wondering what the 3 vertical lines are that look like a TV antenna, They are wires to earth.
BY THE WAY. IT'S NOT HOW TO WIRE DRIVING LIGHTS, WELL IT IS BUT THE TRIGGER WIRE TO FIRE THE RELAY IS CONNECTED TO THE HIGH BEAM WIRE, NOT THE PARK LIGHT WIRE.I MODIFIED THIS DIAGRAM FROM ANOTHER AND FORGOT TO DELETE THAT REMARK.
SCAN0001.jpg

Last edited:

chris_bexsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 sv6 3.6 vz comodore executive wagon hsv kit
Cool cheers man I will give this ago and yes I can read diagrams it's similar to the wiring I have now with the parkers set to turn lights off not on. But with this one would it still be possible to have lights on with no main lights as I'm after total control on them and to turn off on door I think this diagram will only make them come on with parkers.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
This diagram will only only come on with the parkers.
It's only a slight mod to the diagram above.
I modify it and post it soon.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Chris, just remember to insulate or cap off all the wires from the head light loom when you isolate the lights.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Cool cheers man I will give this ago and yes I can read diagrams it's similar to the wiring I have now with the parkers set to turn lights off not on. But with this one would it still be possible to have lights on with no main lights as I'm after total control on them and to turn off on door I think this diagram will only make them come on with parkers.

Hope this suits your needs. It's the best I can do for what you want.

This diagram is can be used to install low powered lights, such as external LED’s or Driving lights.
This diagram suggests that the relay trigger wire be spliced into the “park light wire” in the
Vehicle’s loom.
This is suitable for low powered lights such as external LED’s that you want to come on with the park Lights, low beam and high beam.
If the installation is for driving lights, then the relay trigger wire “must” be connected to the high beam wire in the vehicle’s loom.
This mod incorporates an on/off/on switch that allows the user to switch the lights between coming on with the head lights, having them off and being able to have them on manually.
Other mods are certainly possible with this diagram and it is up to the user to determine which is suitable.
The fuse used in this diagram is for two (2) 55 watt globes. It is up to the user to determine the appropriate size of the fuse for the required application.
This mod may or may not comply with State regulations and it is up to the user to decide as to whether or not to use this mod.
I accept no responsibility for damages caused by installing this mod as it is up to the individual
to decide as to whether or not to use it.
A description is attached to the diagram explaining the mod.
Just remember that in this diagram, when the switch is on manual the lights will NOT turn off Automatically. That would require running the circuit through the BCM which is not possible or beyond my knowledge or adding a timer that is activated when the ignition is turned off and or the doors opened.
Keep an eye out later on, as I will be posting the ultimate LED wiring diagram for inside the car.
SCAN0002.jpg

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
What.... I did all this for nothing????? LOL