Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad earth??

Eep

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Vacationer Wagon
Now I know VKs are renowned for earth problems but just wondering if any ideas? Lately when I turn on the wipers, the fuse blows (which also kills indicators). I unplugged the wires at the wiper motor and indicators work fine. I cleaned up the earth wire connection from the wiper motor but no help. The plenum cover doesn't exist so motor is fairly exposed, could rain have gotten in? Or is there another earth for the wiper circuit? Any suggestions? I am in Tassie so wipers are quite popular. Thanks, I'm running out of fuses!!

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
A bad earth souldn't make the fuse blow. It just wont work. What makes a fuse blow is a short to earth, thats why they are there, to protect the circuit.
In my opinion it sounds like a water problem. Electrics and water don't mix too well.
If water gets in, it can cause arcing. (shorting to earth and blowing the fuse) Once that happens, it can destroy the rotor (amongst other things). That's the part wound with copper wire.
Take it out and disassemble it if you can. You will probably find it is black inside and some wires burnt out.
In other words, wont look too good.
That's my suggestion anyway.

Eep

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Vacationer Wagon
Great info Mate, thank you very much!! Now i won't be buggering around with things for no reason. If you're ever in Tassie I owe you a beer.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Cheers Mate. I might take u up on that one day. Glad I can help.
Listen, if you can't cover the motor with a plenum and you are able to get hold of another motor,
Wrap the thing in a plastic bag for now to keep out the Tassie weather.
Just be careful though as they can get hot and they need some ventilation, it's only a temporary fix and should not be left on permantly.

Eep

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Vacationer Wagon
Cool, I pulled the wiper motor apart and cleaned it out then it worked fine unil I got half way home from work and rain started then it blew the fuse again! I think it's messing with me as I made a plastic cover for it and it worked like a dream several times.......until it rained 6 drops!! I'll get another one from wreckers and see how I go. Your information has definitely made this job easier. Thanks again.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Cool, I pulled the wiper motor apart and cleaned it out then it worked fine unil I got half way home from work and rain started then it blew the fuse again! I think it's messing with me as I made a plastic cover for it and it worked like a dream several times.......until it rained 6 drops!! I'll get another one from wreckers and see how I go. Your information has definitely made this job easier. Thanks again.

Unfortunately these things aren't weather proof, so you are going to have to come up with a way to weaher proof it i'm afraid.
Glad i could help and good luck.