Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs s2 no reverse lights after wiring harness change

Josh_k12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS S2 S
Hey i have a vs s2 getrag factory manual,
Ive replaced the wiring harness that runs down the drivers side of the car with one out of an auto and now my reverse lights aren't working ive checked fuses.
Was just wondering if anyone knows how i can rewire them myself or what needs to be done.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks Josh

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
I'm just going to make a wild guess or two here as ideas. Firstly, have you checked the bulbs? Really wouldn't expect both to blow at once, but could one have been blown and not noticed and the second happened to coincide with the harness change? Or secondly how about the reverse sensor switch? Could it be faulty or wired wrongly? (No idea if you've replaced it or not). I just had a look at the wiring diagram for the VN and noticed that the wire from the switch to the lamps MAY be a different colour between the auto and manual harnesses. That's how it looks to me, as it is slightly odd they'd specify this is an auto switch, this is the manual switch if they were identical. (Yes I see its a different model - but that's the only diagram I have at hand). Good luck. :)

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
did you refit the link between the reverse light/inhibitor wiring and the power button wiring?

it is around the area of the gear shifter, with a four pin plug on one end, and a 3 pin on the other end, with a single wire between them.

Josh_k12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS S2 S
Hey guys thanks for the help ive replaced both bulbs and ill check over the ideas u guys gave me pretty sure i have everything plugged in but wont hurt to double check

Thanks

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Hey Josh, I was reading various threads earlier today and thought of 2 other things while you check the reversing switch. Checking the switch hasn't failed and is actually being activated when in reverse.

Switch activating - Saw something about how sometimes the switch can move a little or just wear down. So while you're in there, see if you can push in the switch by hand. If yes, is it turning the lights on? You might be able to fix it with a washer to raise it a little, therefore enabling the shifter to push it in properly. Or replace it.

Switch working - Well a switch is a break in the circuit, so by shorting the switch really you're just doing the same as if it was working fine and "on". Or in other words taking the switch out of the equation and making a permanent circuit. If that turns on the lights then switch needs replacing.

Don't forget to let us know how you go either way.