Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC Commodore SL/E Electric Door Lock Relays OEM

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
My VC has electric door locks and windows. One of the relays for the electric locks has stopped working and apparently they are not available anymore, they are an odd ball type. I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone seen these things available brand new? If so where?
2. Does anyone know how to rewire the old relay system for new "normal" relays?

TIA

P.S. If required I can scan in wiring diagrams if that will allow any auto elecs to help me figure this out.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Ok first up
1-Do you know for sure its the relay.
2-Is it the relay behind the instrument cluster?
3-Have u got a pic of wot you think the problem is.
4- Do your windows work.
5- Have you checked your circuit breaker button hasn't popped out. If so push it back in and see if it pops out again.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
It is the relay. There are 2 of them. When I swap them over the locks will work the other way (i.e. if they lock with the relays on one spot they wont unlock, swap relays around they will unlock but not lock). Everything else is fine.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Iv may have spares. Not new but im pretty sure there working. Can u get a pic so I know which ones.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, will try to get a pic tomorrow.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Ah I just had a look in my manual and can see the two relays. I have a Vh SLE I'm wrecking but they changed the relays to a single unit. Does ur a/c work . If not take a relay out of that. There under the bonnet behind the passenger strut tower. They look the same. U can get a relay from any VB VC with Harrison a/c and replace either relays for your locking or a/c.

HTH

Mick

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes my A/C works. If the A/C relay works for the door locks I wont have a working A/C anymore (not good in summer) which means I still need to do some rewiring to get something working because the relays are not available new anymore. If I could rewire the relays that would mean next time a relay gives up the ghost all I need to do is buy a new normal relay and fit it.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Yes I understand u want ur a/c to work that's why I also mentioned to find a wrecking VB VC and get the a/c relay out of that. Also Jaycar sell 30A 5 pin relays new. Straight swap.

JTTH

Mick

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride