Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lost VS Maloo keys with immobolizer - by-passing immobilizer and new key

Hughman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vs maloo
Hey guys,

I lost my set of keys into the drink while fishing yesterday. I stupidly don't have a spare set.

The car has an engine immobilizer situated in the glove box (flashing red light, goes solid when mobilised etc).

I've been meaning to get the immobilizer removed for some time now (as it has issues as I've read they do), so I think this might force my hand.

How easy is it for an auto electrician to remove an immobilizer without the keys or immobilizer toggle? Can anyone recommend someone to do it? It's located in Malvern, Vic.

Getting a replacement key - do dealerships / locksmiths / or does Holden (HSV) need to be contacted for getting the key?
Is it cheaper to replace the lock barrel?
What do I need to get a replacement key? VIN etc?

There is a red toggle for the immobilizer in the glove box - I'm not sure what this is for.

FYI. I don't know a great deal about these cars, so please keep it simple for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sorry champ but we have a policy of not handing out that information over the net, especially to someone with only one post
if you have your security card you can get a new keyblade cut easy enough or take proof of ownership to holden
the remote is a whole different isssue you will need the special HSV tag to get a new remote
having the HSV immobilizer bypassed is a major job for a professional

Hughman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vs maloo
sorry champ but we have a policy of not handing out that information over the net, especially to someone with only one post
if you have your security card you can get a new keyblade cut easy enough or take proof of ownership to holden
the remote is a whole different isssue you will need the special HSV tag to get a new remote
having the HSV immobilizer bypassed is a major job for a professional

Yep, that's fine - I understand what I'm asking is basically how to steal this car.

I think I've got the keycard somewhere.

As for the "hsv remote", (I'm assuming you're talking about the immobilizer toggle) I can imagine that's going to be a prick.
What is that red toggle that I have? Is that of any use?

Do you know if this is a job for Holden / HSV only, or can a dealership or locksmith get a key re-cut?

Thanks for your help.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
the red toggle should disarm the system. at worst it will atleast allow you to add another "tag" to the system. From what i know from reading about the iss, the ted toggle is used to add the new tags to the system and people have had alot of trouble with the iss because they have lost the red tag and then somethings happened to their other tags. count yourself luck that you still have the red one

Hughman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vs maloo
Thanks for your help.

I still haven't made any in-roads, obviously things move a bit slower this time of year.

Currently, the car has been towed to my nearest HSV dealer and they're looking at it next week.

I spoke with the RACV about it, and they put the job out to tender. I had a locksmith get in touch with me saying they can resolve it, but they tried for 2 1/2 hours unsuccessfully.

I had a key-blade made, which got access to the car, and started the electrics - all good.

However, the red ISS toggle didn't make the red light go solid, which apparently it needs to do for it to train a new black toggle (ISS).

My question - I spoke with a mate who seems to think that the 99 VS MALOO HSV keys are unique in that they have a metal tag on the key, which is recognised by the ignition barrel to enemable the BSM. Does anyone one know whether this is correct?

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Check the around the barrel. Does it have a metal ring? If so you will need a tech 2 to add a new heyhead to the system

Hughman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vs maloo
Check the around the barrel. Does it have a metal ring? If so you will need a tech 2 to add a new heyhead to the system

Yes mate. It does have the metal ring on the outside of the key barrel.

So, I'm guessing I need a special key for this, which activates the key-barrel ring? Does that key-barrel-ring connect to the BSM?

Do you know what the sequence OR can you send me instructions on the sequence for training a new ISS toggle? I've got the red trainer ISS toggle.

Thanks for your help.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
as far as i know hsv come with two "tags like round keys" one black one red
you need the red tag to program a new keyhead/remote
inside the glovebox should be a red LED and a tag sensor
when you say a red toggle do you mean a barrel key or a switch?
the metal trim around ignition barrel reads a code from inside keyhead/remote and is stock (VR onwards?)
this post sounds the most promising for you, sounds like you have a series 3 VS
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/169013-vt-hsv-key-copying.html
also see these posts
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au.../195843-new-key-cut-hsv-maloo-wont-start.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au.../130322-how-remove-iss-system-clubsports.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...59-help-needed-early-hsv-iss-immobiliser.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...7-2002/3634-hsv-key-immobiliser-problems.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/169013-vt-hsv-key-copying.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...02/206404-vt-ii-hsv-vx-ii-hsv-clubsports.html
maybe give them a pm and see what the outcome was

Last edited:

Hughman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vs maloo
Thanks for your help.

Yes, it's a Series III VS maloo (99)

Unfortunately, the HSV Service department I've got the car at, hasn't been able to resolve the issues.

They have spent two hours looking at it and haven't actually given me much I can go from...

They tried reprogramming the system and their computer wasn't getting any response from my car. They tried a second BCM they have and that didn't have any luck - they have basically scared me off with a $2000 quote to pull the dash apart and have a look - they want to wash their hands of it.

I've spoken with a few people that have suggested removing the ISS system? Does anyone think this would be wise? Get a new BCM?

Can anyone recommend an auto elect? Car is located in Oakleigh, Vic but can get it transported.

I'd ideally like to remove the ISS because I believe that is causing the bulk of the issues and have issues with it in the past.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
Doctor Bob is the man. he's in mornington vic
if holden can't get a response with tech 2 it may be something simple
does everything on the car work, or funny electrical gremlins that might give us a hint