Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a USB connector in a VE Series 1 to charge a GPS

wgc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega MY10
I know there's a power connector in the dash ready for the installation of the smokers kit. I would like to use that connector to power my GPS (which runs off USB). The mains transformer for the GPS is rated at 1.5A.

I was thinking about buying a cigarette lighter socket and a USB car adapter (eg 3.1A Dual USB Car Adaptor - Jaycar Electronics)

However, I've just come across this DC 12V to DC 5V Mini USB Car Charger Step-Down Module:
DC 12V to DC 5V Mini USB Car Charger Step-Down Module for Cell Phone - Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

The price is pretty attractive. I'm guessing that all I would need to do is crimp a couple of spade connectors to it.

Anyone think I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Looks like a lot of fun if personally just get the USB socket it will charge the GPS fine USB is universal and all devices use the same amp rating

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
As ghost said, usb socket would be the way to go. Personally i have got a usb adapter that i pulled outa one of those servo phone holders. just need to find somewhere to mount it so i can charge my iphone without cables running everywhere around the gear selector

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
USB is universal and all devices use the same amp rating
Not really true the spec only goes up to 0.5 amp and different devices negotiate different amounts, however some devices pull 2.2 amp such as the iPad and hence will not charge on all USB ports.

In this situation I would buy a cheap 12v to usb adapter and hardwire it in.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Not really true the spec only goes up to 0.5 amp and different devices negotiate different amounts, however some devices pull 2.2 amp such as the iPad and hence will not charge on all USB ports.

In this situation I would buy a cheap 12v to usb adapter and hardwire it in.

Exactly. Some do pull a higher amperage. However, ALL usb connectors output 5volts.
Some usb charging adaptors are rated at different amperage. I have a cigarette lighter adapter with 2 outputs on it. One is rated @1 amp for ipods, gps, iphones ect and the other is rated @ 2.1 amps for ipads and high current draw devices.