Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring up 20amp sockets for VY

dannosf

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY commodore aclaim
Hi Guys,
I want to wire up 3 x 20amp acc power sockets so I can charge/power 3 devices at once. Can anyone please advise how to do this. Thanks.

Regards
Danny

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Isnt there a plug you can buy that has 3 sockets? Just goes into the cigerete lighter.

dannosf

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY commodore aclaim
Hi Wobbles,
I dont want to fit an adapter in the socket in my console box...imagine having 3 cable from the dash to the console box. I want to install 3 sockets on the side of the front console...1 on the driver side and 1 on the passenger side so the cables will be short and out of the way. Do you know if there is some wiring for the front and rear optional cigerette lighters as standard in a 2003 Acclaim?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You could always do something like this. Just a double socket wired to the back of the cigarette lighter.

IMG_1490_zps5be7961f.jpg

dannosf

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY commodore aclaim
Hi NK,
Great idea, but I dont have a front cig lighter in my car. I looked at the manual and my car has fuse #14 designated for front and rear cig lighter (optional), so Im thinking there should be wiring there. I might take the console apart and see if I can see the wiring, if so problem solved if not, back to ol' drawing board.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi NK,
Great idea, but I dont have a front cig lighter in my car. I looked at the manual and my car has fuse #14 designated for front and rear cig lighter (optional), so Im thinking there should be wiring there. I might take the console apart and see if I can see the wiring, if so problem solved if not, back to ol' drawing board.

Have a look right under where the ash tray would go. It may be at the back of the coin tray. You may have an accessory outlet there. If not, just run a good sized wire with a fuse in line to the battery.