Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank angle sensor plug no voltage?

Reaction score
Members Ride
"89 HSV Enhanced SV20
Hey guys, any help would be really good at this stage... I have a 97 VS Executive, V6 Manual. On the way to work yeterday it just cut out and stalled, then it would not fire at all... The few weeks leading upto the stopping its had an odd miss or cutout whilst driving and rarely stalling at idle. So I replaced the crank angle sensor on the side of the road (dont ever try it, it sucks) and it started. Got home and it jerked a little coming up the driveway. Touched the wires again and it wouldn start, i checked the voltage at the plug and it was .5v on all three connetors. Jiggle the earth wire and a 12v and a few 6's was read. So clearly the earth wire into the plug is stuffed. My question being how can I repair it without a new loom? Can cut the sensor 10cm up the harness and buy another plug? Then solder the new one on to the wires? I really dont want to replace the loom. Thanks :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes you can.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
To make it a little tidier, cut each wire a few centimetres up from the last and use some shrink wrap each joint. That will prevent moisture compromising the joints at a later stage as well as keeping the loom tidy.

sss1600

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 auto (crazy i know! Haa)
A new plug should come either preterminated with short wires ready to solder onto existing wires, or it might just be the plastic plug housing and new terminal pins which will need to be crimped onto the wires. Depending on where you buy the plug from will determine what you will need to do to fit it.
Sometimes used ones can ok with a clean and bend the pins a bit so they make better contact.
Hope it worked out for you...