Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"PRESS REMOTE" light shows up on VN dash??

purplegoaty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VN Executive wagon
hi all..i've just finished fitting the full wiring loom out of an old VN berlina(i believe) into my 88-5 speed exec wagon...i have a series 3 vn calais cluster (all working fine. has done for 18 months) 4 elec windows 4 door central locking, elec mirrors auto aerial. etc etc ,also all working fine..(even at nearly 52 i thinks this stuff is cool on my old wagon)...car runs great and all lights indicators etc work fine...only one small problem..when i put her into reverse, the "PRESS REMOTE" light shoes up on the dash...now, i don't know if its 'cause the loom is out of an auto or if the dash diffuser is the wrong one..all other warning dash lights appear to be in the 'right' spots..engine check fuel etc..
there is a diffuser out there with REV on it, but does that actually stand for reverse??9yeah i know dumb question) also i'm not sure of what "press remote" actually refers too..i'm not panicking over this, just curious to find out...any help would be appreciated..cheers.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Some vn and vp were fitted with factory immobilisers and you had to press a button on a remote to disable said immobiliser

purplegoaty

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi there.thanks for the reply.i've just read a thread about those things but why on the gearbox and IN reverse? also there's no immobiliser on the loom. where would they put that and any idea what one looks like?? i'm so used to the old girl having no bells and whistles that this little hiccup is out of the ordinary.thanks again.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The first VN Calais had the REV light and head lights on warning lamps. Then the VN gained the imobiliser mid 89 and this changed the warning lights to press remote instead of REV. If you fit series 1 diffusers to the cluster the REV will light up as it should.

purplegoaty

Reaction score
Members Ride
G'day 88greenVn..thanks for that..i had a suspicion that it was the wrong diffuser but had to ask in case it was something to do with wiring. I've got the "headlights on" warning lamp showing...i have stack of series 1,2 & 3 clusters and found the diffuser that i need with the REV in the right position..of course the exec never had this warning signal which is why it puzzled me...all should be good tomorrow..all the best mate, cheers.