Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Interior light Problem

Travis91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey guys just got a VT commodore last week the interior light needed a new globe so iv put a new one in and nothing so i figured i would have a look at the fuses, non of the fuses were blown, some were in the wrong place some didnt even have fuses where there should have been so i fix that up to the best of my knowledge and tryed the interior light again
now this is where my problem started i dont know much about commodores but now my interior light switch now some how controls the light around my ignition barrel but the interior light its self still isnt working, before i had looked at the fuses the light around the key barrel was working fine now it only works via the interior light switch

any advice would be great im not very clued on when it comes to cars

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
In all honesty I'd recommend you stop playing around it sounds like something isn't wired correctly and/or you have an issue in the fusebox - "not very clued on when it comes to cars" means you should be talking to an auto-electrician before you blow up something expensive.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
how r u testing the fuses? do u have a test light handy? sometimes fuses can look fine but doesnt mean they have any power running through then so u'll need 1 of these or a digital multimeter. u can use these 2 test 4 power at ur interior light aswell.

Now wen u say the ignition barrel light only lights up with the switch is this only in the ON position or does it work aswell in the DOOR position aswell like its ment 2?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
VT Interior light problem.

It is highly unlikely that all 4 door switches have stopped working.
When the door switches activate, they send an earth signal to that dreaded piece of equipment called the BCM,
which in return sends the earth signal to the light switch. That's how you get the delay when you close the doors and when the lights, including the ignition light come on and go off when the remote door locks are activated.
When the light switch is selected to on, the earth signal is selected straight from the body of the car by passing the BCM. Thus the lights are constantly on.
If the lights are not coming on via the door switches but only with the light switch selected to on, then it sounds to me like there may be a BCM or a wiring problem.
If it was fuse related, there would not be any lights at all regardless of switch position and the boot light would also not operate.

Edit: If you have a Series II, you will have an illumunation relay, probably under the dash. Check that too.
Check also if the glove box light is also working, as it is on the same circuit (Series II)

Last edited: