Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mechanical Speedo with gear box with electric VSS - what to do?

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
As i've got a VR engine and 4L60E gearbox, I'm trying to find a solution to retain the original speedo. I know a few conversion places sell something called "Cable-X" but their asking in excess of $600. I've found one in the states on ebay for half that landed in OZ (Ebay item)

What I would love to get my hands on is Kalmeker's "Piggy Back Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)" but I've email them and had no response. Kalmeker VSS
Anyone know a contact number or alternate email for them?

What have others used for their VR-VT 304 conversions besides an electric speedo?
I've researched this topic on a number of forums but haven't found a definitive answer.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
You might have to take off the reluctor type speedo drive and install a mechanical gear type one like in the pre vr non electronic t700
I bought a mechanical angled drive and screwed a two pulse signal generator (to run computer and cruise control) and a original t350 or 400 speedo cable will screw on to the back so you original cluster will work.... THIS SPEEDO PLACE is the cheapest for the stuff you need ....I rang around and some prices for exactly the same thing from other places and it was nearly double.......I bought it a year ago 2 pulse signal generator : $105...angled drive :$175 and speedo cable if you need it $85....that will work because it does in my v6 conversion with the same gearbox setup and uses a original vh dash cluster and it has done for roughly a year now.
I also had a tacho issue...had to use a 5v to 12v tacho converter.

speedo3.jpg

angledrive.jpg

angleddrive.jpg

Last edited:

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Thanks!

I'm still in the process of running fuel lines and fitting the VT Booster but will update you with how it goes

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I used old vl 6 cylinder fuel lines and custom bent them (with my hands) near the firewall to run up close and finish nearly beside where the speedo cable comes through the firewall to feed the rubber hoses for the fuel rail....main drama was getting them to fit around intermediate steering shaft with enough clearance.

you can see them at the back

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I got some fuel lines from a VL and i'll modify them slightly to fit.

I have a mechanic friend that's doing most of the work from here on so I'll show him the way you set up the speedo and see if I can use it in my application.

Mikestech0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commo
Piggy back VSS

I got some fuel lines from a VL and i'll modify them slightly to fit.

I have a mechanic friend that's doing most of the work from here on so I'll show him the way you set up the speedo and see if I can use it in my application.

Hi Guys
I got an EMail from Kalmaker, took a while but they said they don't do them anymore but you can get them on from Aisat Instruments.
Automotive Instruments, Australia, Britax, VDO, Murphy, Tecsis Instruments & Gauges
They are in Perth