Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID H4 VY HI/LO or Single Beam?

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac Series II Supercharged L67
Hi there.

I was going to purchase a HID kit from the following site :

http://www.delonixradar.com.au/hid-xenon/car-hid-lights/h4/dlx/50w/index.php#Questions

I do a lot of rural driving and was going to install them in a projector headlight.

I am a bit confused with which kit to buy though. currently in the 2003 Holden VY S I have a H4 globe in for low beam and a H1 globe in for high beam.

when purchasing the HID kit, I have the option of buying single beam or HI/LO beam. I thought I would need a single beam kit, but the store seems to say I need hi/lo. here is there response:

""the holdens use a H4 dual filament in the main and an (additional) H1 bulb in the high beams.
Same as the fords""

is he right?

do I need the hi/lo kit?

please help me out guys.

wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the VY thread.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
To my understanding, HI/LO is when a car uses the same globe for both low and high beam. When high beam is activated the second part of the globe will push up making the light brighter. Because there are 2 seperate globes for low beam and high beam in your VY I believe you need single beam.

So a H4 single beam kit for your low beams, and then a H1 single beam kit for your high beams (if you do them as well).

Nick

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
If you look into your head lamps and switch between high beam and low beam, you will see the H4 getting brighter and the H1 turning on.

This is the conversation I had when i wanted HID's for my VY but I didn't end up getting them..

2ns9mx2.jpg