Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3v LED with resistors

YMY-70Y

Need more powwwaaahhh
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sII S and VT sII S
G'Day all

Im about to install some gauges into my vt, the standard bulbs and wiring was average so i thought i would chuck some leds in.

Leds at jaycar are 3v so need resistors... im not sure what resistors to use, or if there is a beter way of doing it, can some one please rescue me lol

cheers in advance

Judd

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Try using this calculator - diode forward voltage = the desired output voltage which in yoru case is 3v

LED calculator for single LEDs

Solder the resistor between the positive power wire and the longer lead on the LED. The shorter lead on the LED can be connected straight to the negative feed from the battery.

The wizard recommends a 1/2W or greater 330 ohm resistor. The color code for 330 ohms is orange orange brown.

Hope it helps you !!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
id go with 1/2w 560ohm resitors if u want the LED 2 last. 330ohms will shorten its life span greatly.

YMY-70Y

Need more powwwaaahhh
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sII S and VT sII S
thanks for the help guys

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
560 is a bit excessive.

Using 330ohm resistors makes the led's brighter.. but they will die relatively quick.

560ohms will be a tad less bright, reduces hot spots,, still looks great and will last a very long time!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
560 is a bit excessive.

the more milliamps u make the LEDs produce the less the life span will b. the data sheet which the LEDs r bought from will tell u the correct milliamps (20mA is in the middle) 2 run them at,with ur calculator i get the same results. urs using the 330ohm resitor will b producing 35mA which yeah is a tad high, 30 is really the limit on these unless specified.