Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB26dett In Hr Holden

H8 5 OH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Ssv Commodore / Hr Holden
Hey guys I'm looking at putting a RB26dett engine and gearbox into my 1967 HR Holden, just wondering on how i would go with the computers and wiring? I'm just gonna keep it simple and nothing show worthy. Any Jap crap guys around? haha.. thanks in advance.

Regards
H8 5 OH

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Sacrilege, that's all I have to say. Pics of the car?

matvex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh Commodore
What about box,diff,brakes, suspension and engineering? Have you done any type of conversion before? What sort of budget do you have?

You can put any engine in any car if you have the money to pay people or if you know how to do it yourself.

You've got a nice looking original car. I reckon you could could buy a clean r32 gtr for less then converting your hr and you'd have best of both worlds.

skitzone80b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr executive
Rb26's in all honesty are a piece of poo. They were built with the want to get every single hp available out of them. I'd go an rb25 a lot more reliable, cheaper and not that bigger difference when you start putting wind up them. after it's in for 2.5 grand you could have 430rwhp on a stock motor lol. A 26 goes for around 3800 you can get a 25 for 1500 so for 2300 you'd saved going 25 not 26 it'd blow a stock and even mild 26 out the water.

For the rear end I'd get a BW78 shortened and fitted or 9" if you have the cash. I'd find out what spindles are on the front end and see if it lines up with any drop spindles out of us cars because front brake upgrades are ridiciliously cheap there. ( whole f body 2" drop spindles and 13.5" rotors and wilwood 4 pots are like $750"

You use your alternator/ started etc loom, hr one should still be able to handle it all.
You'll have to run a fuel pump relay so that the pump stays continiously live but the relay earths it that way you have a stack it stops the pump.
You'll have to make sure that it's still got an ECCS relay in the loom as well as the other relay I'm not sure what the other one's called at the moment.
Then you'll just have to work out how to power up the loom theirs one in the engine bay near the afm that needs to be powered up, you'll need to find out what part of the loom needs ignition signal etc. As long as you don't fark with it to much it shouldn't be to hard as you're using a standard loom and you're just putting power to it. The computer runs the motor you just gotta run the computer.

H8 5 OH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im just looking at making something with decent horsepower, Im not worried to much about the rest of the car yet, this would be the hardest fitting the engine and gear box, once i've fitting it i will progress to the rest of it, my aim is for a roadworthy reliable drift car, silly i know but i want a classic with a jap engine that is as quick around a corner sideways and just at home on the targa rally. I'm open to different engine and gear ideas, as nothing is set in stone. I'm in no hurry and built when i can (weekends and such). thanks for your replays guys i appreciate them all..

mpower - yeah it does sound wrong fitting an engine like that, but i want the power without the weight of a big v8. And i would really like to use this car instead of buying one of those ricers.. whats your plans for your HR?

skitzone80b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr executive
Man I don't mean to be rude but here comes a rant, I own an australian car a german car multiple japenese cars and an american car. If you hate those " ricers" so much, Build an australian motor rather then degrading japenese cars and then asking everyone how you fit one of their motors into yours because theirs nothing worse then some guy going to a japenese fan " oh yeah I don't wanna buy one of those bloody ricers rah rah rah by the way how would I go about fitting one of theirs motors into my car? The brand my car came in can't build a high performance motor that weighs less then 300kgs" etc. And secondly have you ever drifted before? I reccomend going and spending 2 grand and put that car into the wall a few times before you spend 20-30 grand trying to build some frankenstein drift car and then realise that an amateur driver with a ute from the 60's and a 400whp motor in isn't a very good combination when you're talking about dropping skids between 100 and 160km/h .If you still want to go through with this try and find the EJ in perth with an RB25 in it.

H8 5 OH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Excellent rant btw. Okay one I'm a holden man all the way, jap crap is what I was raised saying and to be honest I've seen more Japanese cars that should be put in an art exhibit then the road. And really if just that upsets you the way I talk about cars then what help are you in the first place? And secondly yes I have, I have toasted more Tyres then you've had hot dates, on the street and off (my conviction list will prove). I'm more comfortable drifting a car that weights close to 2000kg the some little buzz box. Sure it mite not be the easier way but that's my "zone" and I'm sticking to it. Thirdly I never mentioned 20-30 grand nor a "Frankenstein" drift car. And FYI it's not a ute. Thanks for you so positive input enjoy your Vr commie.