Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge/temp. gauge/dashboard lights/ lighter problem Statesman Ecotec 1995

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman Ecotec 6cyl. 1995
Hi,
sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. The lighter never works (need it to charge my phone) I suspect the bad mass connection or plug/socket connections somewhere. What is the first point to check, and then next?
This car was left to me by my son who moved interstate. I'm electrician by trade, but not auto sparky. If any points to be chacked, can the kind person who respond tell me roughly the location?

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: also, the exorst is noisy, and front suspention make a knocking noise while turning. What are rough costs to repair this? Chees

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Have you checked all your fuses? from what i know ciggy is on seperate harness to the other stuff so i would say that fuse would be your problem there. and when you say dashboard lights, what do you mean? engine/oil lights or is it the illumination? if its the illum, do your switches light up as well as your shifter light?

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi,
I will check the dashboard light when is dark (my wife is driving this sometime) and she told me this, and yes, illumination lights. I did replace both temp sensors plus the thermostat and I have the temp. indication now :). It fluctuate very little below and above the middle mark.
Does anyone know where the lighter fuse is located? I did check all the fuses in the box and they are ok. I suppose the lighter supply goes also through the relay? Nothing on the fuses/relays box is marked as "lighter"
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
which box are you talking about? the ciggy fuse is under the dash drivers side behind the grey cover.

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
aussie4life11 ,
thanks for helping me out :)
no I'm talking about the one under the bonnet, I don't even know there is another one.... I will check the one you suggest. Checked the dashboard lighting. I do not have illumination for all analog gauges (revs, speed and temp.) Digital and alarms indication is ok. No highlights for the lighter and gear position ( this is automatic transmission).
Cheers

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
aussie4life11 ,
thanks for helping me out :)
no I'm talking about the one under the bonnet, I don't even know there is another one.... I will check the one you suggest. Checked the dashboard lighting. I do not have illumination for all analog gauges (revs, speed and temp.) Digital and alarms indication is ok. No highlights for the lighter and gear position ( this is automatic transmission).
Cheers

Sounds like you have 2 blown fuses. One for the ciggy plug and one for instrument illum. Have a look inder the steering column. I think you will find that is where your problem lies. As for the digital readouts the reason they are still lighting up is that they have a seperate backlight to the rest and the backlight is on constantly due to it being powered off the digital board. Check all these fuses and let us know how ya went

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Right, lighter fuse blown. All other fuses ok.
Not good news, must be something more sinnister with the
Instruments lights :( I wold really try to avoid pulling out
the console....
Thanks

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi,
there is a voltage on the instrument lights on both sides of the fuse if the light switch is turned ON, but still no illumination. I think I will need to get to the back of the console. Pity I don't have a schematic for this system.
With a lighter, I replaced the fuse and is working ok now. However, all lighter popped out of the dash, the metal cover is off the lighter and it is probably what made a short circuit some time ago.
What is the best way to:
a: get to the instrument board (speed, revs and temp) to check connections there
b: get to the lighter (remove cover where the gear leaver is) to fix it properly

Thanks

EDIT: the instruments light dimmer springs back to the middle position all the time when I try to move it, is it normal?
Cheers

Last edited:

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lighter fully fix now. Now the dashboard illumination lights... what is the steps to get to there?
Thanks

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
All above fixed now, new problem show up but that's for the new thread.
Thanks aussie4life11 for assistance :)