Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1995 V6 Ecotec cooling fan not starting

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman Ecotec 6cyl. 1995
Hi,
when engine runs in idle (car stationary) I've noticed that the electrical fan is not kicking in while the temp gauge close to High. What does control this fan?
I changed both temp. sensors close to thermostat yesterday for another reason, but yes both are brand new now.

Thanks

DTM87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Lumina S V6 (VY Commodore)
Hi,
when engine runs in idle (car stationary) I've noticed that the electrical fan is not kicking in while the temp gauge close to High. What does control this fan?
I changed both temp. sensors close to thermostat yesterday for another reason, but yes both are brand new now.

Thanks

Try the fan relay bud

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
i believe one test i have heard about is to remove the multi wire temp sensor and start the sensor. the fan should kick in low speed after 6 seconds and then the high speed after a further 12 seconds. the relays are under the bonnet. try swapping one for another of the same design. the other test is if your aircon is working, turn your aircon on with the engine running. as a standard the fan should kick on high speed with aircon on.

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys. I did tested the fan and the relay this morning, both ok. Then I read here about disconnecting the sensor. When I did, the fan kicked in after several seconds. I did put 2 days ago new sensor from Repco.
I think I will get genuine one from Holden as someone recommended in another thread. Still got the old one, but as the car is 1995 I think it is better to stick the new one.

Cheers

mbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
and the fan kicks in when the AC compressor is engaged. Looks definitely like the sensor.
Off to the Holden dealer :)
Cheers

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Make sure your connections are good. It can get pretty gunky there.