Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse camera and monitor wiring + OVERRIDE for when NOT in reverse

BLUVY2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon
Hey all,

I've finally got around to buying a monitor and reverse camera for the wagon. The camera is one of those that replaces one of the number plate lights, the monitor just a 4.3 dual video in (one being a reverse priority input so it takes over when the reverse camera is powered).

I'm relatively comfortable in wiring the camera to the reverse light bulb power source to power it when I go into reverse, and the monitor I assume is best into something like the ciggie lighter power source. (I was initially planning on only powering the monitor through the reverse power as well, but then thought if I ever decide to take advantage of the second video input on the monitor, I won't be able to if its only powered when in reverse). Since the screen stays black (and looks 'off') when no video input is on it, it won't matter that there is power to it all the time. Running the AV cable might be a bit of a pain but I've read a bit on going through the headlining etc.

However, what I would really like to do is have an override power switch to the rear camera so I can flick a switch to turn on the rear camera even when I am not in reverse - ie, to keep an eye on some so and so parking behind me, or to get the number plate of a tailgater perhaps. I was thinking of just grabbing any acc power source (such as the ciggie lighter) and running it to the camera power as well but through a switch (that is usually off unless I need it). However, I'm assuming if I do that, and flick the switch to turn it on, that since its going to be spliced into the power of the camera which is already inline with the reverse globe power that flicking the switch will turn on the reverse light globes even though I'm not in reverse. Is that correct? Is there any way around it?

One way around it that I can see is if I replaced the second number plate light with another camera, ran the acc power to that camera through a switch and the RCA to a double adaptor at the monitor video input. I will add though, having thought of that option, I won't be doing it as I'm not THAT needy for the override and it's just a tad overkill! More just thinking out loud with this option!

Any other way it could be done?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
What you need is an ON-OFF-ON or an ON-ON swithich
There are 3 pins on the bottom of the switch.
Centre pin- +12v wire FROM camera.
Then, on one side of the switch, connect the + wire from the reverse light.
On the other side, connect either a constant or ignition switched +12v.(What ever you prefer)

This will allow you to switch from the reverse light circuit to a normal 12v supply.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
^that ,or a simple diode between the reverse wire and the camera positive, this will allow power from the reverse wire to travel to the camera and screen, but block travel from the switch back to the reverse lights

BLUVY2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. They both make perfect sense.

What diode would I be needing to prevent reverse travel. What would I ask for at Jaycar?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ask for a 1N4004 diode, will do the job just fine

BLUVY2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon
Perfect, thanks!

Will update when its all done, and maybe even with some pics. :)