Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best way to remove/bypass centre light for VZ roof conversion?

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
So I don't know if that title makes any sense what so ever but I just want to know what you guys think the best way to go about this is... I went to install a VZ sunglass holder into my vx but despite my efforts and time I miscut the roof (of course) for the sunglasses holder..So I decided to grab a complete black VZ roof kit (pictures included) so I couldn't make a mistake with the sunglasses holder.. NOW I followed THIS tut to install the sunglasses holder and all was working.. but when I remove the interior light (the old vx one) the lights on the sunglasses holder don't turn on... but when I plugged the interior light back in they worked.. SO my question is how can I get around this without putting the vx light back in?(By this i mean i dont want to cut out a hole in my roof lining) I contemplated cutting out the little circuit board in the interior light and plugging it in and most likely duck tape the basted to the metal roof behind the roof lining so its there but not there..but I don't know if that will work... I also want to wire up the rear courtesy/map lights into the circuit so they come on with the sunglasses holder lights... IN short when the car is unlocked/door opened I want rear map lights and vz sunglasses holder lights to all come on light the VX dome light does.

Thanks in advance I'll try draw a diagram so it makes more sense..

Pictures:
66676_10151508131636098_617601921_n.jpg

557992_10151508131701098_1314426644_n.jpg

557997_10151508131756098_291052961_n.jpg

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Hey mate, not sure if you have seen it already, but the is a thread in the How-To section about doing this. I hope it helps.

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
Thanks for the replies guys but that is the tut I followed to install the sunglasses holder. and wire it all up... The lights worked with the interior dome plugged it but when its not plugged in they dont turn on when the car unlocks. this is what i want:

Car is unlocked using key - Rear map lights and sunglasses holder lights come on.
Car door is open - Rear map lights and sunglasses holder lights come on.

Hope i'm starting to make some sense...

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I understand what you mean, but as he says in the "How To"......(Quote)" Only fault with the way it is wired now is that if the dome lamp is switched to "Off" the new console will not turn on when the doors open / car is unlocked. they DO however still work manually as map lights. So no big deal. Only way around this is to get a VY/VZ loom and run a whole bunch of other cabling which, in my opinion, is just NOT WORTH IT! Why would you have your dome lamp set to OFF anyway"? (Un quote)

So you may have to leave it in.

The only other way I can think of if you don't want the original dome lamp on, is to black out the lens cover.
Maybe a few coats of a dark black out paint, painted on the inside of the lens.
I've used a paint you use to paint the inside of the polycarbonate bodies of remote control cars. That blocks a lot of light if you put it on thick enough.

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
Yeah i rea that it needs to be on "on" to work but i was hoping there would be a way I could short out a wire or somthing to bypass but i guess not.. thanks anyway.. Would you happen to know how i can make the rear map lights come on with the interior lights?

Braids

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt berlina
I'm wanting to do mine two. Is there anyway of not cutting the original dome into the new carpet and wire everything up with the dome in between the carpet and metal roof so u can't see it? And just having the new vz light and roof????

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm wanting to do mine two. Is there anyway of not cutting the original dome into the new carpet and wire everything up with the dome in between the carpet and metal roof so u can't see it? And just having the new vz light and roof????

You need to either cut the loom or tap into it

I cut mine from the B-Pillar, but also had to rewire the main lining loom that goes from the connector on the B-Pillar to the sunglass holder.

Then splice the rear courtesy lights wiring that I made

Basically its not plug and play

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]