Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN starting problem

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
OK it's time for me to seriously look into fixing this issue because I am getting a very sore knuckle on my index finger from it.

When I get into my LS1 VN, it will almost never start first go. Turn key to "start" - nothing. Not even a click from the starter... nothing whatsoever. It's as if I had just left the key at "on". Flicking between "on" and "start" does nothing. I have to go all the way back to ACC or OFF and then back to START to have a hope of starting it. I have to repeat this normally up to 40 to 50 times to get the car to finally start. Even when it does kick the starter a lot of the time it will stop cranking after just a fraction of a second, or give a disjointed crank and fire up. Something isn't right in the electrics of this, obviously, and I want to find out where the problem lies.

I have swapped the ignition switch out with the 304 VN (which works fine), no change.

There is an immobiliser fitted to the car (yeeeears old) and I've no idea what type it is.

This problem pre-dates my re-wire of the entire car, and I'm pretty sure pre-dates the entire engine conversion. It's been getting steadily worse over a few years but now it's just ridiculous.

Please help me out here :)

Sam

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have you checked the starter and ignition relays?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I haven't, because I wasn't sure how/when/if they fail. I'll get into my relocated fuse panel (pain in the ass) and change them out. Hopefully that fixes it, would be nice and simple.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Changed START relay tonight; no difference.

My suspicions now lay with the early 90s immobiliser. Going to try to trace that back and remove it with a view to installing something a little .. nicer.