Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Charging battery in vehicle??

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Guys I'm after advise on charging a flat battery without disconnecting it from the vehicle. Car is a 03 VY. Have looked through the forums but seem to find conflicting info. Got an Arlec 2500 compact charger, instructions on the charger state " Ideally, disconnect the battery and remove from vehicle. If this is not practical, ensure that the battery terminal not connected to the chassis is connected first to the charger. The other connection is then made to the chassis, keeping away from the battery and fuel line. Only after connecting switch on the main supply to the charger".
Basically I want to know if using this method I am risking damaging the electronic system in the vehicle?
I don't want to take the battery out to charge as I don't have the radio code and don't really want to fork out $$ to get it.
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
If you pull all the terminals off the battery then your ok. No different to doing it outside of the car just best if you keep the bonnet up because lead acid batteries vent potentially explosive gas when charging. You can get the radio code off Holden usually if you give them the VIN and some id.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Charging with the battery connected in the car is fine and wont do any damage to your car electrics. Im an auto elec and we do this all the time at work.

The method you wrote about is just relating to the gases the battery makes when being charged. Just connect the battery leads to the battery before your turn on the charger, and turn the charger off first before you disconnect the charger leads.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
My VY doesn't ask for a radio code if I
disconnect the battery.

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Thanks for the quick replies. All sorted!