Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing wiring

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
I wanna replace a few bits of wiring on the car but don't know how to go about it:

New battery terminals and wiring. What type of wires should I be looking at connecting to the terminals?

I want to replace all the connectors on my ground wiring as well. Do I need to cut the wiring back and then add new connectors to the wiring? What connectors should I be getting?

I have attached a picture of one of the earths that I need to replace, the others are similar. Do i need to cut into the loom at all?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 217

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
For your battery terminals/wiring, you can buy these with the battery terminals and the starter motor/earth terminals already made up. Just measure the lengths of the ones on your car.
As far as the other wiring, earth terminals and such, you don't need to cut into the loom, just cut the wire as close as possible to the terminal as not to shorten the wire too much.
Head into an auto shop or even middy's might be better and there you will find the ring terminals you need.
The terminal wire gauge size is available in three sizes, Yellow (large), Blue (medium) and Red (small). All these terminals are available in different ring size.
There are also lots of different "industrial" Terminals such as AMP used in the aircraft industry. These are harder to get and come from the USA.
Try and get the best quality terminals you can but don't discount Narva, they are good but there are better ones out there.
The one in your picture may require a larger size than yellow so I suggest you go to an electrecial supplier for that one.
Also get yourself a pair of good quality wire strippers, side cutters and crimping tool. The crimping tool is most important as this makes the connection and that has to be of a good quality. These 3 tools will become your favorite items. I would be lost without mine.
Dick Smith sell the tools you will need. I bought a pair of wire strippers from them 20 years ago and they are still going strong.
If you can, get the ratchet type crimping tool, Tricky Dicky also sells them. For gods sake don't buy the cheap ones, they are crap.
Spend $40 or more on them. They will last you and you will get a better crimp.
Get some good quality side cutters too. There is nothing worse than trying to reach a wire to cut, only to find that you need 2 ton of pressure to cut the wire because they are blunt, or the jaws don't come together propery.
One more thing, get the terminals that suit your crimping tool, or vice versa. Some teminals require a specific tool to crimp.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Oh yeah.
When you go to bolt the terminals back on to the car/motor, make sure you use a washer between the bolt head/nut and the terminal.
If you don't, when you tighten the bolt or nut, it will scour the terminal making all your good work pointless.
Most of the terminals available are only zinc plated copper and are quite soft so a bolt or nut with out a washer will do damage to the terminal.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The tools you need.

P4260012_zpsb0a20e15.jpg

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
Excellent thank you very much Nut Kracker, just the type of info I was looking for. I think I have all the tools in the shed ready to go, will just have to pick up some of the gear on the weekend.

Thanks mate

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Good luck and let us know how you go :)