Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing footwell lights

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
hey everyone

im wanting to install a set of foot well lights in my VN berlina, i want to have the wiring done so that it turns on when the doors open and when accessories are on, but i want to have a switch aswell so that i can have it turned on or off that will over run the other other wiring but wont be left on when i turn the car off if the switch is on, i also want to do the same with some lights under the seats, running off a separate switch again, so i can have either the seats and foot wells going, or just one of them. and i was also planning to get the lights that can change colour, i was thinking probably get the one that does red, green, blue and clear, is there a way i can get like a panel with 4 buttons so that i can pick the colours?

can someone explain on how i can do this wiring, and what i will need to do it? or should i just get autobarn or an auto electrician to do it for me because itll be to much trouble for a DIY job and let the experts do it? im unsure if its abit to fiddly for me or not, never done anything like this so!

im hoping this makes sense to other people, i was struggling abit on trying to explain exactly what i want, but any suggestions are very appreciated, TheNewKid

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
This is a complicated circuit, especially for someone who has little or no knowledge about it. It is fiddly and you have to have some understanding of the circuit involved.
I wouldn't recommend it to a novice.
To do what you want will involve tapping into the BCM interior lighting circuit and running a fair bit of wire.
I am actually in the middle of designing a circuit for foot well and other lights that react with the original lighting circuit.
I don't know when I will finish it, but I will post it when it's done.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
To trigger the footwells you would just need to trace the door wires back to the bcm where they all converge and do it negativly triggered. EG have a relay with 12v from the battery to one side of the trigger and then the second pin earthed thru the door wiring. if you pull the door pin out you will find it is a single wire assembly and it has a contact that when the door is opened, it contact the chassis to earth it. simple way of having it work with the doors.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If you want to be able to turn them on and off independantly, you will have to install a 3 way on/off/on switch.
Centre pin on the switch - to the light/s. Then on the other pins, one to the door/BCM earth wire and the other to a body earth.
This will allow you to switch them from door, (auto) to off and to constantly on. The same way the dome light works.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If you trigger the foot well lights off the door switch, they will not come on when you unlock the car as the dome light does.
They will only come on when you open the doors.
If you want them to come on when you unlock the doors, you have to tap into the earth wire from the bcm to the dome light.
An earth signal is activated in this wire from the bcm to turn on/off the dome light when the doors are unlocked, opened and closed and the ignition is turned on/off.
It also operates the delay for the lights.

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
okay well im definetly going to someone to do it for me now, sounds waaaaay to fiddly for me, but could i go to autobarn to get this installed?

can anyone give me a list of things ill need to buy to get them to do this?

and also does anyone know about like a panel or something for the colour selection? :S

thank you so much all of you for your help aswell!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I doubt if auto barn would do it but I am sure an auto electrician would do it for you.
I have used this company many times. Don't be put off just because they are in the USA.
They are great, post very fast, have an amazing selection, have things you can't get here and have a teriffic back up service.
LEDs - flexible LED strips, LED modules, 12v LEDs

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
yeah i wont be buying anything until i know the exact things i need first haha, cheers though!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I know how you want them done as you explained earlier, but if you check out the site above, it will give you an idea of whats available.
If you take it to an auto electrician, all you will need to supply are the lights. He will have all the other stuff, such as wiring and connectors ect.

If you are doing it yourself, you will need......
Wire strippers.
Side cutters.
Crimping tool.
Selection of crimp connectors/terminals.
Soldering iron.
Cable ties.
Electrical tape.
Screw drivers.
A ton of wire. (Don't use all the same colour as it will be a nightmare if trying to diagnose a fault).
A length of coat hanger wire for a pull through (Optional).
Multi meter and/or test light.
Car manual or knowledge of wiring circuit.
Plenty of patience.
Flexible joints so as you can get under the dash and seats.
A few hours.
And anything else I've forgotten.