Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Cruise Control ... Series 1 vs Series 2 different somehow?

McAwesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
Hey Guys, I have just bought a VY V6 Series 1 Wagon (Granny Spec) to get me around while in between 4x4's.

The wagon of doom does not have cruise control, so I have been researching for the past two days to find out what is involved. (It will be doing a lot of long distance cruising).

So far I believe that I need;
# Cruise Control Module.
# Cruise Control Throttle Cable.
# Throttle Body Cable Linkage to support both Throttle Cables.
# Brake Switch.
# Cruise Stalk.

And also the loom needs to be in the car (Which I am not sure if it has, as I have not picked it up yet and didn't look for the needed plugs while inspecting).

Then I came across this, VY SER II CRUISE CONTROL KIT
Holmart says (And I presume that they know what they are talking about), that it suits series 2 only.

Can anyone tell me why this would not suit a series 1?
What is the difference between the series one and series 2 cruise control?
Can a series 2 system be made to work with a series 1?

edit: I also have been unable to find what is involved in regards to wiring cruise control into a VY that doesn't have a loom/plugs already there ... any ideas?

Many thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this subject.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Vyii saw the introduction of a whole new ecu type. Oem cruise controls interface with ecu for its commands. You might be better of using a universal.

But please f you get any information that is different I would love to know for my own knowledge.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I used to have a 03 VY, now I have an 06 VZ. The only difference i found is the direction in which you turn the stalk to set and reset cruise control has been flipped.

Fr4u4ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy1TonUte
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364697820.274116.jpg
Went to this guy Straya day weekend, everything works sweet and he is a top bloke. Happy to answer any questions.

McAwesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
Cheers for all the help guys, It is much appreciated.

I pick the car up in two days, I'll have a better look at it to see exactly what I am dealing with and then get back to you.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
interesting that he doesn't do VZ... I'm wondering if thats the same as the VYII?

McAwesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
Well I picked up the car last night and unfortunately there is no loom for cruise control.

So I have been offered a "Command AP50" unit from a wanted ad on gumtree.

The reviews on them seem to be pretty good, so I think that I will give it a shot.

Has anyone put one on a VY V6 before?
I am asking because it seems that you can either wire them up with magnets on the driveshaft or you can hook them up to some sort of pulsing wire (eg electronic speedo), and I am wondering the best way to do so.

Thanks for all help so far.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
if I had a buck for everyone of those I have installed....But you know, I don't recall ever fitting one into a VY before! lol What I can tell you is that using the VSS (pulsing wire) is by far the best way and most reliable to go. The catch is finding it.... When I need to find this wire, I first look at the Cruise Control lol. Bugger.

Will have a look through my books and see if I have done one and if so where I tagged it. (I keep a log on most cars the first time I work on them.)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
First off, here is what I have from a VT. What I have written (scribbled) C6 and D5 - Purple w/White ECM Passenger Kick panel. Unfortunately it's a bitch of a thing to test. You need two people (one to test and the other to drive) or the back wheels off the ground. Test the wires with a multimeter (That does not says Test Light....) on AC Voltage you should see the voltage rise as the speed of the wheels increases.

-EDIT-Oh I also have written 10K which indicates the AP50 should be set to 10,000ppm (pulses per mile) and also just thinking about it, that purple wire sohuld also be found at the dash cluster.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Sweet I found it! (I'm seriously going to get banned for spamming here hahaha) Yes, I did a VY years and years ago! I have written behind glove box, GPS Connector, Purple w/White and ignition also available (I haven't written what colour.)

Knew all these chicken scratchings would come in handy one day lol