Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 202 EFI in HJ not firing

chacha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hey guys,

I'm really hoping that one of you can help.

I've put a black VK 202 EFI engine into my HJ wagon and I just cannot get it to fire up. There's pressurised fuel in the rail and whatnot so thats not an issue. I botched the wiring a little because i dont have the tacho relay and cant find one anywhere, Holden dont stock them anymore. Theres power to the injectors and to the no.9 wire on the EFI. The grounding wires are all grounded ect. I've wired up the fuel pump to an ignition wire as well.

The botching is only temporary until i find one.

The weird thing is that there was one time when it actually fired, it idled really lumpily for a minute then died and im back where i started.

Please, i just need this goddamn thing running.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I'm not super familiar with the black 202 but have you checked the usual? Are all 6 plugs firing? Is the injector/s firing? Hows the timing?

I certainly don't have the answer but figure I would the usual suspects to help jog your memory... or not and I've just wasted your time!

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Maybe airflow meter (or an air leak between the meter and the engine)? Coolant temp sensor (too rich)?

Does it run with the injectors unplugged and some carb. cleaner or Aero Start squirted into the intake? If it does, that will immediately eliminate the ignition side of things.

The Bosch system that the VK EFI uses is a generic one (L-Jetronic I think) with standard pin outs and connections used n a variety of cars. It might help to find a wiring diagram.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have one spare if you need one and Im a electrician and have fitted the vk efi to my blue motored vh and had it going well until I went to a buick v6 for more power

from memory the injectors get fed 12 v from the tachometric relay all the time and they get a pulse earth from the ecu to make them inject fuelas long as there is fuel pressure in the rail.