Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

All Locks and Doors Jammed

Thenic888

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 Holden Commodore Executive Formula VN
91 VN Formula

The drivers side door is the only one that opens currently no problems with that but just recently when I twist the key to open all the doors only the drivers door opens, all the others are actually stuck shut, you can pull as hard as you can on the locks and they just stay in the same position, on the passenger side door if you use the key it doesn't turn completely and doesn't unlock the door. I've tried everything to get the 3 non working doors open. Is this a problem with the actuators, central locking module or neither? I'm really stummped, I would appreciate some help!

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Sounds to me like the doors are deadlocked. Can you hear any of the actuators trying to work?

Found this on another post:

Electric (if fitted)
The orange section of interior door locks is provided as an "unlock" reminder. Doors are locked when the lock knob is down and the orange section no longer visible.
All passenger doors may be unlocked or locked individually. However, when the DRIVER'S lock knob is operated all the doors will simultaneously lock or unlock. The front, passenger lock knob also unlocks all doors when pulled up.
Each passenger door may be locked behind you by depressing the lock knob when the door is open then shutting the door firmly. It is not necessary to hold the handle up when shutting. The driver's lock knob, However, cannot be depressed when the door is open, thus preventing the driver from inadvertently being locked out.
All doors can be locked from outside the car with either the master or service key. Turn the key towards the rear of the car to lock, towards the front of the car to unlock.
LOCKING THE DRIVER'S DOOR WITH A KEY NOT ONLY LOCKS ALL THE DOORS BUT ALLOWS SETTING THE 'DEAD¬LOCK'' PROTECTION. THIS IS SET BY TURNING THE KEY AN ADDITIONAL 60 DEGREES IN THE LOCK BARREL (TOWARDS THE REAR OF THE CAR). THIS ELECTRONICALLY JAMS ALL THE ELECTRIC LOCK MECHANISMS SO THAT NO DOOR CAN BE OPENED - EVEN IF ENTRY IS GAINED BY BREAKING GLASS.

Sorry, wouldn't have a clue on how to help you with your problem, but I'd start with the driver's door actuator since that's the one that controls the deadlocking function

Thenic888

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 Holden Commodore Executive Formula VN
Thanks for that i'm pretty sure it is deadlocked, any idea if the 91 vn came out with an actuator in the driver side door panel, you'd think it would right? I think the owner before me took it out

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Not 100% familiar with the VN. Some did, some didn't. There would be wiring in the door if it did....but if all the other doors are deadlocked, I would thing it did have....

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Don't know if you managed to get your doors open or not, but I've found a couple of things that might help.

I came across a few posts that says the VN was able to be deadlocked by the front passengers door as well, so try the key in that door. Deadlocking requires quite a bit of force on your key, so be careful not to snap it!

I've also seen reports of people being able to remove the door skins while the doors are closed, so I guess you could give that a go as well, and see if you can manually manipulate the locking mechanism. It's a b*tch of a job though, apparently.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Don't know if you managed to get your doors open or not, but I've found a couple of things that might help.

I came across a few posts that says the VN was able to be deadlocked by the front passengers door as well, so try the key in that door. Deadlocking requires quite a bit of force on your key, so be careful not to snap it!

I've also seen reports of people being able to remove the door skins while the doors are closed, so I guess you could give that a go as well, and see if you can manually manipulate the locking mechanism. It's a b*tch of a job though, apparently.

I had this same issue last week on my VP, the rear doors were stuck in deadlock mode, I managed to removed the door trims just enough to get a long screwdriver and a hammer in, what you want to do is slowly hammer the rod that hooks onto the top of the central locking actuator, there is a rubber bit that holds the hook in place.

I did brake one of mine in the process but I was replacing them anyway so I had spares ready to go in.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Maybe they are Superglued, do you have any enemies? If all else fails paint it red, paint a confederate flag on the roof and call it General Lee then enter through the windows.:rofl2:

Last edited: