Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedo wire question

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
I brought one of these on the weekend because it was on special and I wanted a reverse sensor kits. This sensor also contains a digital speedo and speed alert, similar to what most VS Commodores have anyway.

The instructions say that I need to splice a wire into the speedometer wire, I assume so the unit can get the speedo reading so it knows how fast the car is going. So what I now need to know is where would be the best place to find this wire? I'm going to guess it's one of the mass of wires that lead to the instrument cluster itself, either there or is there a wire with the speedometer reading that goes to the speed alert device as well-I'm not too sure how exactly that module works.

Also a related question, will the answers to any of these questions change if I then later go and install a level 3 cluster into the car? Might it just be easier for me to leave this untill I pay someone else to, uhh install the level 3 cluster myself and sort out all the wiring then-it doesn't bother me not having the speed part of this working now, I brought it for the reverse sensors and if I get another speedo out of it, that's just gravy.