Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blowing head light bulbs - VS V6

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi All,

The missus VS keeps blowing head light bulbs. I figure at least one every 6 or so months.

I've been running the Narva +50 bulbs but I have had standard bulbs as well as no name brand from supercheap which have also blown.

Good battery and I recently replaced the alternator so the voltage is good and stable.

Thoughts and suggests please.

Thanks

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Check the wiring? I know it sounds stupid but your not touching the globe when you install it are you.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Check the wiring? I know it sounds stupid but your not touching the globe when you install it are you.

Wiring seems ok and I didn't find any bad joints or high resistance or major voltage drops etc.

Nope, I don't touch the bulb itself with my hands, I generally give em a clean with a lint free cloth before fitting.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Do you have head light protectors?
They can reduce the life of the globe, as they can insulate the head light housing, causing increased temperatures inside the headlight.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Try swaping over the headlight relay for a new one

When the bulbs go, has the filament just let go or blown completely?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you have head light protectors?
They can reduce the life of the globe, as they can insulate the head light housing, causing increased temperatures inside the headlight.

YES, interesting might have to ventilate the headlights somehow and see if that helps.

Try swaping over the headlight relay for a new one

When the bulbs go, has the filament just let go or blown completely?

I think the filament has burnt through, generally there is a burn mark around the filament.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
YES, interesting might have to ventilate the headlights somehow and see if that helps.

I think the filament has burnt through, generally there is a burn mark around the filament.

Sounds like they have over heated with them on.

Take the protectors off....or drill a series of tiny holes top and bottom in them to allow some air flow over the lens.
May be not in the centre, as this may scatter the light.
Place the holes in a nice pattern so it doesn't look ugly.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thinking maybe I drill some holes in the back of the headlight unit so air can circulate around inside the headlight enclosure. Maybe some holes in the cap where the lamp is fitted?

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Thinking maybe I drill some holes in the back of the headlight unit so air can circulate around inside the headlight enclosure. Maybe some holes in the cap where the lamp is fitted?

BEFORE drilling anything you,ll probably find a small right angled rubber tube already in place acting as a breather.Honestly cant see it having anything to do with headlight protectors as they sit proud of the headlight due to small buffers,it that was the case hundreds of thousands of cars would have premature globe failures each day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of cause the filament is going to change colour from use,anything would when its running at a thousand degrees celcius.
Get hold a couple of phillips/osrams,not cheap arse chinese ****,but then again the Narvas are a good reputable brand far from ****.MAKE SURE you wipe them over just prior to installing them with METHO or ALCOHOL wipes,and then DO NOT TOUCH the GLASS part as the oil in your skin will cause hot spots and five minutes later it will blow again,but that is not your case as you are getting a good 6 months or so out of them before they blow.
But dont go drilling the headlight:banstick:
Just out of interest the headlight is secure and its not vibrating all over the place,you,ve ruled out over charging from the alternator,also are the globes the std 55/60w or you running something like 55/100w or 90/130w.
One more thing, is it the LOW beam filament or HIGH beam filament blowing or are both filaments failing simultaneously ?
Have you run all this pass a auto elec and get his thoughts ?

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Depending on how the protectors sit against the light.
They CAN have an adverse effect on how the headlamp is cooled.

If the OP is running over 55 watt in a plastic lens light (not recommended) in conjunction with the protectors,
There will be excessive heat build up.

Halogen lights over 55 watts should only be used in lights with glass lenses.