Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp v8 into vr v6

baxman777

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy cross8 crewman
Hi all, new to the site so apologies in advance. I have a 91 VP Calais v8 (badly rusted) and I've picked up a vr berlina v6. I want to transplant my v8 running gear into the vr. I've got a lot of queries, mainly will my v8 engine loom and ecu be compatible with the vr v6 body loom connectors? I noticed an extra plug under the dash near the ecu in the VP which I assume links in with the bcm loom? Also will the 2 main connectors on the engine loom near the battery be compatible with the vr? Aside from those issues, will the k frame and strut assemblies bolt straight into the vr? As I see the vr towers are a different shape. Any other info on this type of conversion would be great fully appreciated. Thanks in advance, baxman777

Last edited:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Both cars auto or manual?
Plugs should be compatible... once again depends on auto or manual.....
The small white plug near the ecu in a VN/VP is the diagnostic connector, it's not plugged into anything, the larger white plug that connects the engine harness to the dash loom may need a bit of re-pinning, once again depends on if they are auto or manual to start with, some rewiring to get the speedo working also........
K-Frame is compatible and can be swapped.
Struts & lower control arms are different and not really compatible (they will fit but better off using the VR ones, especially if the car has ABS).

baxman777

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy cross8 crewman
Gday there, both are auto, non abs. I think the connection under the dash looks the same where it plugs into the ecu loom. I've read here somewhere about swapping the tacho from the VP Calais cluster, not too sure yet?? The vr has a power/ econ button which I'm not too concerned as I'm using the VP v8 transmission. I'm also swapping the larger fuel tank into the vr, I've heard its just a switch on the back of the instrument cluster to convert, and a live axle tank strap reqd for the vr ? Yes you sound right about the control arms, I'm glad the k frames a straight swap. Many thanks for your info, you've been a great help. This won't be an overnight project, so any ongoing information from fellow members is greatly appreciated. Thanks mate, baxman777