Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HQ Kingswood spark problem, only runs for couple of seconds

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Vacationer 1971 HQ Kingswood
My kingswoods has a 186 engine from a HT. It was running fine and then it started to run rough and then completely quit. i tried to restart it but know it only runs for around 3-5 seconds and then turns off, you can keep it running if you violently pump the throttle and keep the revs up, but it will not idle. The next morning i tried to start it but same thing. But the coil got extremely hot, too hot to touch. I have an external ballast resister and now, that's not getting hot nor warm. i cannot figure out the problem. I've tried replacing the coil but same problem. The points look health, and are fairly new, but i did not use a dwell meter when installing them. should i change to a electronic distributor. Also i found two wire melted on the exhaust, i think that it may have something to do with it.

Growler71

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Is the points gap staying as you set it
The old red motors dizzy can wear out on the cam (not the engines cam the cam the points run on)

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The 2 wires that melted on the exhaust have probably shorted on it and could be causing your problems.
Replace/repair them and see how you go.

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
i have repaired the wires, but no difference. i have looked at the cam and it looks black. so maybe that has something to do with it. i tried adjusting the points but again, no difference.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The ballast resistor should be getting warm... especially if the coil is getting hot.
Doubt the ballast resistor has failed in a dead short, they normally go open circuit if/when they fail.

Sure it's wired correctly? Ignition power to ballast resistor, ballast resistor to coil positive.

How old is the suppression capacitor (wired in parallel to the points, small metal cylinder thingy screwed to the dizzy with a wire going into the points)? try disconnecting this and see if it makes a difference, if it does then replace it (don't just disconnect it and leave it like this as it'll burn the points out quicker without it).

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
But the ballast is not even getting warm now. its wired correctly, I was driving it like this for 10 months no problems. far as i know the suppression capacitor looks to be good, but i used a 1.6 ohm ballast. I don't know if that had something to do with it.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Why has your kingswood got a ballast resistor?
They never had them from the factory...

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I reckon your ignition switch is buggered or its blown a fuse. does it run if its hot wired? Temperately run a wire from battery + to the coil positive. From factory the Hq would have a resistance wire no ballast resistor was used if its got a ballast resister someone might of changed the wiring under the dash maybe a good time to put an electronic commodore distributor in it. They are pretty cheap these days.

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have been hot wiring it but same problem, I even tried putting positive straight to the resister; which is the positive side of the coil, but still runs like crap. when i got the car it had a electronic dizzy but I had to remove it because it didn't work, and got a reconditioned points dizzy for $20 from my uncle. So in turn I had to put a ballast on it because the previous owner had removed it.