Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake light warning on dash going off (vs caprice)

Jasolll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
I'm assuming its for the brake lights it's a red light on the lower left of the cluster with a picture of a bulb. It comes on and off usually when I'm braking. My lights are all working I'm thinking maybe the pedal switch might be playing up? Any help muchly appreciated

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
if it comes on when you're breaking it means a brake light is out.

double and triple check all the globes to be sure. I believe that when a globe is blown the car can detect the change of current coming back from the lights and thus knows when a lamp is out and throws up the warning. I don't think it has anything to do with the brake light switch.

did you recently install LED globes anywhere? these can trigger the warning that you're seeing. numberplate, reversing lights and parker globes included.

Jasolll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
ill go over it all again thanks, no but i did fit a new battery to the car

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
There is a procedure for setting the brake light warning after the battery has been removed

This procedure must be carried out if the battery has been disconnected. Ensure battery is fully charged and functional before carrying out the following procedure:
1. Ensure all rear lamp bulbs are working. Replace/repair any faulty bulbs/wiring.
2. Turn ignition off, parking lamps off and stop lamps off.
3. Remove and re-fit fuel pump fuse F23 from engine compartment relay housing, to reset BCM.
4. Start engine and allow to idle.
5. Switch parking lamps on.
6. Wait 5 seconds.
7. Press brake pedal and hold.
8. Wait 5 seconds.
9. Switch parking lamps off.
10. Wait 5 seconds.
11. Bulb re-learn is now complete, turn engine off and release brake pedal.

Jasolll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
legend thanks ill give that a go, never would have thought something like that would be required, does that happen every time you change the battery?

Jasolll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
Yeah who would have thought you need to do all that just from replacing the battery

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
The manual says every time but I have never done it on mine and the warning light mostly works fine

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
didn't work on my vq s2 caprice. I still get beeped at with the warning light on the dash.
If anyone has an idea how to fix this for me.
I might have to start my own thread in the vn/vq section but though mine might apply to op's fault.

also, prev owner of my car replaced the tail light harnesses, couldn't get caprice ones so got standard ones instead.
I've noticed a single wire plug on each side not connected to anything (nothing available to connect it to) brown wire with a white trace....

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
A phantom brake light out can be caused by a stuffed alternator wire the ECU is picking up on the low voltage and no amount of changeling bulbs or harnesses will get rid of it